close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CSS Menuwriter menu does not drop down in IE6/IE5

Thread began 6/12/2009 10:02 pm by EmmaMorris | Last modified 7/17/2009 7:07 am by Ray Borduin | 8068 views | 20 replies |

EmmaMorris

CSS Menuwriter menu does not drop down in IE6/IE5

I have a site that works perfectly under FF & IE7 but the menus wont drop down in earlier IE.
I have checked paths and they seem to be correct. I use almost identical menus in another site and they work fine in the earlier versions of IE. Im stumped. Its probably something simple but I could really use some ideas.
Here is the site with the problems alumnimenu.php. Both this menu page and the listing page does the same thing.

Thanks ahead of time.
Gary Morris.

Sign in to reply to this post

office377308

sorry that I don't have a solution to this but ...

I know a lot of webdesigners who refuse to make their websites compatible with IE6 and earlier versions, since there are so many differences to agreed web standards.
Or they charge extra for making a site compatible to those messy MS browsers.

I am doing the same because IE6 loses market share anyway since its automatically updated by Microsoft to ver. 7 or 8. They seem to work much better than their predecessors. I think we should fight this policy of misusing market power to not keeping up to standards which were setup and agreed by www.w3.org/ and others. Microsoft produced this nonsense because of lack of competitors, which now exists.

Sorry again for not offering a solution to your problem but since my designer needed 3 extra days to figure out some non - documented MS_only_rubbish_pseudo_standards of IE6 we reacted to this unhealthy situation as described.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The page seems to work in IE6 when I try it. What exactly isn't working for you? What version of IE are you trying?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

bobrossi315677

Doesn't work for me in IE 6 either...here is the latest of sites where menus don't work with IE6 www.casariomarina.com

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It appears you forgot to upload your IE css file:

CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_home/menu_ie.css

Put that up to your server and it should improve. You might just want to concentrate on a single post. Answering your same question 10 times is getting redundant.

EmmaMorris

Submenus dont drop down

HI Ray,
If you click on the decade (1960's 70s ...) those menus dont drop down.
Im really stumped. I have tried it at home with IETester and IE5, at work with IE6 and have had several people tell the webmaster (Im only doing the database/alumni pages) that they dont work.

Gary.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I see that now. I swear I tested it and it worked yesterday.

I'll try to look some more, but I don't see the problem.

If you apply the menu on a blank page does it work? Is it possible something you updated caused an issue? You may want to post a support incident with the menu export included so they can test to find the cause if this problem is easily reproduced it may be a bug.

EmmaMorris

Partially fixed

Well, I found the first problem. It was something I did. It at least shows now. Can you take a look and give me an idea of which style to look for on menu-ie.css. Its there but in the wrong place. I have looked but dont see what Im looking for.
Thanks.
Gary

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What exactly is the problem now that you are trying to fix now?

EmmaMorris

In ie6 if you hover over one of the top menu items the submenus now come up but over to the right.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...