close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Help... Trees are thick... no light in sight!

Thread began 6/12/2009 2:15 pm by perry382014 | Last modified 6/16/2009 11:57 am by Neil Beadle | 3187 views | 5 replies |

perry382014

Help... Trees are thick... no light in sight!

Okay so I purchased this thinking it was going to be the answer to all my form problems and maybe it is but I can't figure out what the hell to do with this thing.
I get to Step Two and the instructions say "apply your template" and peace out...
What?

I got through step one okay but I do not have a template... just a standard html page created in Dreamweaver CS4. It's an existing Contact Us page with a phone number and email... right below that I want to add a contact form... a simple one with name, email address and comments. How do I do this? Do I use Dreamweavers Insert/Form/Text Field?

Can someone give me a small toturial? I'm totally lost.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Take your existing page and turn it into a template in DW. That way the rest of the steps will be applicable.

I would start by uploading all of the sample files to my server and making sure they work before doing any changes. That way if there are problems with your settings they won't be confused with problems in moving the code to a new page.

If you want to do it on on existing page without creating a template:

It won't work on a .html page, so you would want to rename your page to .php.

Then you could copy all of the code before the <html> tag on the sample page and paste it to your existing page.

Then you could copy the <form> and all of its contents from the sample page to your existing page where you want the form to be displayed.

Then copy and paste any <script> tags from the sample page to your existing page.

That should be it. The functionality is achieved through server code, an html form, and client scripts so once you copy and paste those things it should work on any page.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

perry382014

Where is the sample page? Are you refering to the contactus.php?

Dreamweaver also asks if I want to use a testing server for php... what do I put for that?

you said "uploading all the sample files to my server" - where's that?

Where do I put all this stuff you're talking about in the html document? Anywhere?

Here's the code from the page... can you add red text or something to explain what you're talking about?

Thanks a million! I'm getting a considerable amout of greif because he want this done NOW... which is why I purchased your "easy" program.

I can provide you my email address if that would make it easier

Neil Beadle

Here's what you need to do at this point...

1. Upload your files to your server to test your settings and see if your Contact Form works.
2. Create a Dreamweaver template based off of the HTML page you already have.
For instructions on creating Dreamweaver templates go here: 28_converting_a_page_to_a_template.htm.
- You will want to create an editable region in the template that would be where the contact form content is to display.
To apply your new template to your page, open your contactus.php page in Dreamweaver and follow the steps found here: WScbb6b82af5544594822510a94ae8d65-7a86a.html

3. If you want any additional text to appear on the contact form page, you can type directly onto the contact form page in Design View of Dreamweaver. Note that since you will be using a DW template, you will only be able to type within editable regions.

*Do not worry about Testing Server settings for Dreamweaver. If you do not have a testing server, just upload your files to your live server for testing.
*Please let us know how you get on with each of these steps.

perry382014

Man.... what? I'm so tired of trying to understand all this mumbo jumbo. Your web site makes it look sooooo easy. I ran across those comments on Dreamweaver and I can now understand the pathetically low rating. I think I'll add to it... yeesh.

Sure wish I didn't pay $30 bucks for it... ugg

Neil Beadle

Submit a Support Ticket

WebAssist provides free technical support to all customers to make sure that everyone is successful with their purchase. Have you submitted a support ticket yet?

Go here: techsupportinsert_1.php and a support technician will work with you to make sure you accomplish what you need with the contact form.

With that said, where did you fall down? Did the contact form not work on your live server? Were you unable to get it to look the way you wanted?

Let us know, so that we can help you.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...