close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Allow customer to choose shipping

Thread began 6/12/2009 4:30 am by Travis250923 | Last modified 6/16/2009 1:55 pm by Travis250923 | 5500 views | 19 replies |

Travis250923

Allow customer to choose shipping

Is there any tutorial on setting up shipping for USPS to allow a customer to choose the type of shipping i.e. parcel post vs. priority?

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'm not sure about the documentation. I do know how to do it:

1) Open up your snippits panel and find the dropdown list associated with USPS shipping types and drag it into place on your checkout page.

2) Open up your confirm page and store the posted value from the ship type list into a session variable

3) Update the USPS server behavior on that page specifying the ship type from the Session variable you just stored.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Travis250923

Thanks I check it out.

Travis250923

So I got this working but I have one problem. I am getting errors when selecting Priority:

-2147219431DomesticRatesV3:clsRateV3.ValidateContainer;RateEngineV3.ProcessRequestInvalid container type. Valid container types for Priority Mail are Flat Rate Envelope, Sm Flat Rate Box, Md Flat Rate Box and Lg Flat Rate Box.1000440

API=RateV3&XML=PRIORITY481974819710LARGE

I think it has to do with the package type. How can I tell it to use one package type for one shipping type vs another?

Travis250923

Hmmmm....I think this will work:

if ( $_SESSION['USPS_Shipping'] == 'PRIORITY' ) {
echo '$Shipping_PackageArray[$Shipping_PackageIndex]["PackageType"] = "FLAT RATE BOX"; ';
} else {
echo '$Shipping_PackageArray[$Shipping_PackageIndex]["PackageType"] = "YOURPACKAGING"; ';
}

Hard to tell since I have other shipping errors going on that we're trying to figure out with a support ticket.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That seems right, but I think you may need to pass a code instead of the text itself.

Travis250923

You mean instead of using the text PRIORITY as the value on the checkout page and session variable place a numerical value like 1?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I forget what their codes are.... I just looked it appears YOURPACKAGING is correct.

If you are using a flat rate box, you probably don't need it calculated at all... it is a flat rate.

You may only want to calculate when you aren't using a flat rate box and always use "YOURPACKAGING" when calculating the rate.

Travis250923

Oh I see what you're getting out. However I think it would be just easier to set itto return a price from USPS for all options than to code a flat rate for the priority and variable rates for the others...I mean you guys have already done the work so why mess with success right. :)

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I don't think the shipping calculator works for flat rate boxes. I'm not sure but I think it is only designed for custom packaging. That might be the reason for the packaging error.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...