close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Images are being truncated

Thread began 9/29/2010 9:12 pm by Jim376112 | Last modified 10/26/2010 10:38 am by Jim376112 | 1623 views | 6 replies |

Jim376112

Images are being truncated

Hello,

I have PowerGallery working but all of my photos are being truncated (lots of "heads getting chopped off"!). I understand that when you "Add Photos" in the Admin app that they are sized but it looks like something is going wrong.

I don't see any information about "max sizes" or any controls that might affect this. Can someone please tell me how to address this problem?

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

Justin Nemeth

It depends on what gallery you are using. Some of the galleries are designed to a fixed image size and the use cropped images to ensure they are all the same size. The galleries do that by default.

If you want to change it, open up the index.php for the gallery you are using on line 11 or so there will be a gallery URL string that is built up. Look for something like 999c in that url. You can change the size to match another image size that you have defined in the common/properties.php file.

There are quite a few other threads that have specific code on how to change the image size in a gallery.

-justin

Jim376112

Hi Justin,

Thanks for clarifying what's happening; I didn't realize some Galleries crop be design (I assumed images would always just be resized!).

I searched on "change image size" and found several interesting posts and I think I'm starting to see how this works, but I have a couple of questions:

1) It looks like the "c" and "p" indicate "cropped" and "proportional" - can I just change the "c" in the URL in index.php for slideshow_disssolve to get it to resize rather than crop? Do I need to reprocess all of the images for this to work and how would I do that?

2) Reading the posts confirms a response you gave me on a previous post and that is that images are actually resized when they are "uploaded". Plus, I guess thumbnails are also created. A) where are the resized images stored and B) where are the thumbnails placed?

Thanks.

Justin Nemeth

Yes, the c and p are for cropped and proportional. You can just change the sizes, but you'll also need to look in the common/properties.php file and make sure the size is also listed in there. There are 2 arrays with sizes for cropped and proportional, so edit those arrays as needed for your size.

Reprocessing the images can be done by selecting your gallery, then processing the watermark. Even if the watermark is blank, that will force the new sizes to be created.

Images are stored in the images/[gallery ID] folder. You'll see the originals and all the sized images in there - with the size and c or p suffix.

-justin

Jim376112

Hi Justin,

Wow - your answers just revealed something surprising! I didn't realize that there were so many images created for each original image. Here are some follow on questions:

1) Each image I uploaded has ten images associated with it; a copy of the original and nine "c & p" versions. Why does PowerGallery create so many versions when the files are "uploaded"? Isn't this a huge waste of storage space? Can I instruct PowerGallery to only generate what is needed for the particular Gallery I select?

2) If all these versions are already created, why is any processing needed if I want to change the Gallery style? Or is your instruction to "process an 'empty' watermark" only needed if I have added a new size to the code?

3) Since we have all of these versions of each file, is there any reason I can't delete (from the server) the files that I originally uploaded that were processed by PowerGallery when I selected a Gallery style?

Thanks.

Justin Nemeth

1) It creates various sizes so that all the of the gallery types can be used with no additional processing. You just switch the gallery type and its good to go since the images exist. It takes up more space yes, but generally hosts these days give large amounts or even unlimited space. You would have to customize the code yourself to create these image at a different time and not upload.

2) Processing is only needed if you add a new size to that properties.php file, if you are using a size that already exists, no need to process the images again.

3) We keep the originals so that any new sizes, watermarks, or rotations use the original source. This gives the best quality possible. I would recommend keeping the originals unless you never plan on processing the images after they are setup. Keep in mind that if those images aren't there and you try to process it won't work.

-justin

Jim376112

Hi Justin,

(Sorry for the delay in responding!) Thanks for all the good info. I've implemented the changes as you selected and all is working well.

Thanks.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...