close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Proper permissions for PS4 generated folders?

Thread began 9/28/2010 2:02 pm by Awemaker | Last modified 9/29/2010 3:49 pm by Awemaker | 1656 views | 4 replies |

Awemaker

Proper permissions for PS4 generated folders?

Ray & I sleuthed out an issue (ok, really Ray) regarding themes whereby even a simple Test.php file containing a one word "echo" in the /webassist/plugins/styler/ directory produced an Internal Server Error. Over to the server's support I went.

We found that the permissions for the /webassist/ folder were set to 777, which the tech of my Lunarpages server told me "would always produce a PHP error." Everything went unbroken regarding themes when we changed the permissions for that folder to 755. This probably had other far-reaching implications elsewhere in PS4.

Now, as a follow-through, I've found that the other PS4 generated directories, "Connections", "digitalfiles" & "imagesupload" are also set to 777, and I'm wondering whether or not they should be. While only 1 of those contain a PHP file, I'm wondering if the others should be as open as they are. I can't find any documentation saying one way or the other what these folder permissions should be, but I am suspicious now.

Please advise.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That must be a setting they have set up specifically. It sounds like they may not allow scripts to edit folders that contain scripts. They might have it set up so that 755 will work, but it may not work as well. Are you able to use the editor once change those permission settings?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Awemaker

Oh yes- all works as it should magically upon changing the permissions.

What about those other folder, though? Should I change them as well?

Did you want these folders writable from the outside?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If it works, then you can safely change the other folders as well.

The only folders we create and set permissions on are the imagesupload, webassist, and Connections folders. We specifically set them to 777 in order to allow the editor and file uploads to work properly when editing.

However some ISPs have it set up in a way that allows 755 to work... it appears they may also disable 777 at that point for some folders. In your case updating all to 755 should be fine since it appears your web server is set up to work with that setting.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Awemaker

Thanks, Ray.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...