close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Multi Language Site?

Thread began 9/27/2010 7:54 pm by eopco265885 | Last modified 10/10/2010 2:47 pm by Miguel | 1084 views | 2 replies |

eopco265885

Multi Language Site?

Hello:
I have developed a site for a client who is now requesting a French Version of the site. I designed it as a php site. I made it php in case we decide to make it a dynamic site in the future, but for now it is static. It seems to me that the only way I could create a second language for the site would be to create a duplicate page for each current page and make that the French one. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, the only problem I see with this would be that it would cause double the work each time I need to update the site. Is there a tool out there that can automatically translate a page? If so, I would be very interested in knowing what it is.

Rich

Sign in to reply to this post

codamedia

Hi Rich,

I've built a lot of multi-language sites over the years and to put it mildly, there is no easy way to do this. You mention creating a second page, but this is likely my least favorite way to do it. It does double your work load, but it also created a hornets nest of files and images. As for $$$$. It's not my business, but be careful. When I do a multi-language site the cost is at least double that of a single language site, not including the cost of actual translation. Don't sell yourself short! The workload might be double, but so should the pay. A customer should not expect this for free!

I don't know of any magic tool you are asking about. Sure there are page translators out there, but they are not that good. Your site will look like it went through an auto translator, and the 2nd language people will not be impressed.

The easiest way to do a multi-language site is to simply mirror each language into it's own folder. IE: Set the English site into a /en folder, and a french site into /fr or a spanish into /es. YES - this will double your work load, but the separation of the sites makes it easy to organize and maintain. If you maintain your url structure in both, it is really easy to maintain. (ie: same image and file names, just different language content)

The more difficult way is to create a CMS that handles multi-language and pulls the content from a database into each page, depending on a URL (GET) variable (lang=en, lang=fr, lang=es). You should use GET variables rather than Sessions or Cookies, as that is the only way a user can bookmark the page, and search engines can find it. Even in this method, you increase your work load because each lanaguage content needs to be added. There is one other "gotcha" to this method. Don't forget you will likely need to display different images and logos for the site as well. IE: logo-en to pull an English logo, logo-fr to pull a French logo etc... That makes image management a little trickier.

Which ever way you choose, organization is the key. Lay things out, and stick with it! As soon as you deviate just a little your site(s) will become a complete mess.

Just my 2 cents.

Miguel

I do this with cookies and session variables its the best way also on each table of the database i have the diffrent languajes fields for example; TitleENglish, TitleSpanish and so on then with a session variable i can filter wich one to show

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...