close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Database entry

Thread began 9/24/2010 3:56 pm by msbannister373603 | Last modified 9/27/2010 6:31 am by Jason Byrnes | 1512 views | 4 replies |

msbannister373603

Database entry

I'm using a list/menu box with data assist to enter day into my database. In the static options I have the word "choose" as the label and have the value left blank. By leaving the value blank it should stop me from inserting any data into the database. However, it just inserts blank field into the database. Any ideas on how to give a value to the word choose so that it prompts the user to select one of the menu items before updating.

Sign in to reply to this post

CraigRBeta Tester

you could apply validation to the list/menu so that the database would only be updated if the input was valid.

you could try spry validation for client side (insert--> Spry from dreamweaver menu), and webassist have both client side and server side validation tools as part of the validation toolkit in css formbuilder

ltsi1357391

Please help me by explaining

Hi,

I am totally new to the Database side, though I have many of the features from web assist now as a web designer, last week I bought dynamic suite, but I am am totally confused how it all works I feel I may have waisted my money.

I have downloaded all the videos to learn but still confused, my website providers will not allow me to connect to there PHP admin or SQL database for security on there site.

I am really confused here, firstly how do I connect to the database on my web providers, it seems easy to set up the tables on there site but how do you set up the connection from my website to the database?

Secondly how will my images appear in my shop will data assist do that on my local machine?

You probably think wat a twat well I am as I am really confused, I watched the videos and downloaded the MYSQL bench as instructed iin it and installed the XAMPP to live preview, but I dont understand how it all works properly so I will take a stab and if someone can explain,

So I open MYSQL bench and set up the tables needed for the shop products, once done I export the database and install onto my server which has the same name etc, so now the connect to database problem arrises, in dream wever I connect to the database locally but once all files are on line will everything work....

I aint sure if thats how it works so can some one guide a novice that rteally wants to succeed.

Chris

The dappy web designer

ltsi1357391

Just found the tutorial on connecting to the database but would be greatful if some one explains how I can view locally then add the site on line if possible.

What a wacko I am :-(

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

On your local computer, export the database to an SQL Script, then create a database on the remote server, and use the sl script to create the tables.

before uploading everything, you will need to modify the connection settings to use the correct information to connect to the remote server.

after the files are uploaded, you can change the connection settings back to connect to the local server, just remember not to upload the connection file again. I always set the connection file on the server to be read only so it cannot get overwritten by the local settings by accident.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...