close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Dynamic Suite

Thread began 9/24/2010 8:01 am by ltsi1357391 | Last modified 9/25/2010 3:26 am by ltsi1357391 | 2593 views | 11 replies |

ltsi1357391

Dynamic Suite

Hello all,
I am a web designer just starting out on DATABASE stuff, I purchased the Dynamic Suite a few days back hoping to set up some e commerce shops, I really am struggling at this time.

I downloaded the database videos to get started but just can not connect to my server. It appears they have PHP and SQL on them already. I set up a database but can not connect to it.

I am really confused, I want to set up a database and get a shop working from it, the tutorial is out of date as when you download sql it comes as a work bench 5.0 so the outlay is totally different to that on the videos.

Sorry but I am thick, I understand how it works but I just can get connected to my DB, can anyone explain what the following means,

1.connection name -
2.MySQL server -
3 User - Ok I know this
4. Pass - As above
5. Database - I persume thats what I called it

I use FreeVirtualServers

Please help as I really need to get a grip on this matter...

Thanks Chris

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

many hosts will set the MySQL server up in such a way that outside connections will not be allowed

For development and learning, it is a good idea to set up local testing server. With a local testing server, you will not need to worry about the hosts restrictions on the MySQL server.

For details on setting up a local testing server, see the learning resources page:
resources.php

this page also has tutorials for setting up your Dreamweaver Site and configuring the database connection.

ltsi1357391

Ok can you please tell me, I downloaded XAMPP, am I setting up the database in dreamwever or am I supposed to do it via my control panel on FVS, it really is not clear what 'Dataassist2' does for the end user.

I am new but the time on this product seems to be taken up trying to figure it out yet your video made it look easy.

Or am I doing somthing wrong, it really should say that it will take a lot of time to get use too for idiots like me.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

when using a local testing server, you set the database up on your local machine.

the xampp control panel has a tool called MyPHPAdmin which is a gui tool of managing your local MySQL server. Using PHPMyAdmin you create the local database.

What DataAssist does is create web pages that allow you to manage a table in your database

It creates the pages to search the table, show results based on the search criteria, insert new records, update existing records or delete them.

ltsi1357391

Hi I have been at this all day, I downloaded the XAMPP and followed the video to the 't' you provide but my xampp will not run the apache server, it turns on for asecond then shuts off, then when i do a local host test all I get is a white blank screen.

Can you help me with this problem, thanks for help so far.

I am using xp I looked on youtube but no joy there, can some one help.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

is it XP service Pack 2? see the following xampp faq:
faq-xampp-windows.html#xpsp2

ltsi1357391

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  is it XP service Pack 2? see the following xampp faq:
faq-xampp-windows.html#xpsp2  

just checked it, again not turning on looked at my system no joy there too, how frustrating,,,

i need a fix as this is stressful

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

do you use skype?

skype can cause a conflict with xampp if it use set to use port 80, This is the port Apache will use.

edit the skype settings so it will use a different port.

ltsi1357391

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  do you use skype?

skype can cause a conflict with xampp if it use set to use port 80, This is the port Apache will use.

edit the skype settings so it will use a different port.  

yep i use skype - how can i change it really thick on this...

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

edit the skype preferences, in the advanced section you will be able to specify the port that skype should use, change this to something like 30849

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...