close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

More info on Managing Relational Tables

Thread began 6/11/2009 8:06 am by Bknvc1111729 | Last modified 6/12/2009 7:46 am by Bknvc1111729 | 2550 views | 6 replies |

Bknvc1111729

More info on Managing Relational Tables

Where would I look to find more info or solutions explaining DataAssists feature for managing relational tables?

Thanks
Bknvc1

Sign in to reply to this post

Neil Beadle

This is definitely the most complicated function of DataAssist. At this point in time, the only documentation we have regarding this aspect is within the built-in help documentation. We do hope to produce some intermediate database tutorials to aid users in understanding of how this feature would be implemented.

If you have trouble getting it to work, submit a support ticket so that a support engineer can point you in the right direction.

Bknvc1111729

Still having an issue getting the Manage Relational Tables to work. Maybe it is not designed to work like I think it is but here is what I am trying to do. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

I am inserting a product into the database with one form. There are the fields for the the main product information then there are the fields for the product options. In the options there is a checkbox that is using the Repeat Selection behavior to be displayed.

I have inserted an Insert Single Record behavior for the fields that describe the basic product and have them written to one table. This is working okay.

I have an Insert Multiple Records behavior for the remaining fields because they could choose more than one checkbox and for each checkbox checked it would write a new record to a second table. This is also working fine.

When I add the Manage Relational Table behavior is where I am having an issue. I want it to write to the third table the Key columns of the other two tables so I can associate the product with its options. I can not get this to write to the third table.

Support told me to remove the redirect from both Single and Multiple Insert Records. When I tried I get the same results as above.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bknvc1

Attached Files
Wheel_Insert_Alt.zip

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It won't work like that by default. The issue will be that you can't identify the newly inserted IDs from the insert multiple record to properly create the relational table reference.

I'm afraid you would probably have to hand code this solution.

Manage relational tables would work in a scenario where you had the multiple records listed with a group of checkboxes or multilselect list and were able to bind the values to the associated table IDs. Since in this case the ID's don't exist until after the insert, it really just won't work without editing it by hand and maybe storing an array as you insert of the ID's and then referencing that array in the manage relational table code in place of the form element it would normally work with.

The code concepts and code would be very similar, but it would take a little editing by hand to really pull off since it isn't directly supported in the interfaces.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Bknvc1111729

Okay, sounds a bit over my head at this point but if I that is what I have to do I will figure it out.

But before that do you think this would work. Have a page that inserts the basic product information and then have another page that they select the basic product and then add the options required for that product. Could I then get the Manage Relational Table behavior to reconize the basic product's key and insert it into the relational table along with the option's key column as it is generated? Or is the issue that scince niether key column is known at the time of insertion that the data is not written to the relational table.

Just trying to understand.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you think of manage relational table as helping in a Parent - Relationship - Child database scenario... the Child Fields have to exist and be used to populate a list or checkbox group on the page in order to update the Relationship table properly. You can insert the Parent and manage the Relationship on one page, but you can't also insert into the child since the child has to be used to populate a list or checkbox group for manage relational database to work.

The child table fields have to already exist.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Bknvc1111729

Okay, now I think I understand. Thank you for your patience and input.

Bknvc1

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...