close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

required field value

Thread began 9/14/2010 6:40 am by CraigR | Last modified 9/14/2010 10:57 am by Jason Byrnes | 1123 views | 3 replies |

CraigRBeta Tester

required field value

i have a form with validation toolkit.

one of the fields is set so that a value is not required, so the form is submitted if the field contents are either empty or in the required format.

what i would like to do is set the requirement based on the value in another field

for example, first field is option list, with option1 set as default.
if option 1 is selected, second field does not require a value.

if however option2 is set in my option list, second field does require a value.

the server side validation occurs within the if (isset($_POST["insert"])) {} block

is the best way to do this just to put the validate code within an if block ?

if (((isset($_POST["xxxxx"]))?$_POST["xxxxx"]:"") <> 0) {
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateNM(((isset($_POST["xxxxx"]))?$_POST["xxxxx"]:"") . "",0,1000000,2,",.",true,13);
} else {
$WAFV_Errors .= WAValidateNM(((isset($_POST["xxxxx"]))?$_POST["xxxxx"]:"") . "",0,1000000,2,",.",false,13);
}

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

This is done using client side validation, and using the Conditional Validation response.

Create the list with 2 options. Set the value for option 1 to be blank:
<option value="">option 1</option>

Then open the behaviors panel, click the plus button and apply the following validations:
Required / Not Blank on the select list
Conditional validation: Trigger = Select List. target = text Field
Required / Not Blank on the text field
Show Validation Errors

the key to understanding the different behaviors, is that everything In the Client validations menu like Alpha numeric or Credit card or required not blank is an action.

The behaviors in the main menu like show validation errors, conditional validation or enable disable form element are responses.

I am attaching a sample page to demonstrate.

Attached Files
conditionalSample.php.zip

CraigRBeta Tester

thanks for the reply Jason.

I was going to look at client side validation after the server side, but you beat me to it.

one thing though, my existing fields all have spry client side validation, is your method compatible or do i have to take another appraoch

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

client side and spry validation can be applied to the same form fields, the forms created by form builder use the two at the same time along with server validation too.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...