close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

User Level Authentication

Thread began 9/09/2010 4:55 pm by Mac McCarthy | Last modified 9/14/2010 6:55 am by Jason Byrnes | 3616 views | 7 replies |

Mac McCarthy

User Level Authentication

Hi support

I have installed URSP and it is working like a dream, however I wish to implement a User Level Authentication process.

I have Security assist and have already read and feel comfortable with the tutorial provided for User Level Authentication.

In order to integrate this User Level Authentication with URSP, I suspect it would be wise to not change URSP registration process, thereby everyone who registers would initially be user level 1. This would give them access to pages with basic level information and then forcing them to contact administration in order to be upgraded to a higher user level, gaining access to higher level information pages.

Am I moving in the right direction or could someone point me to some additional information that would shed more light, hope this makes sense?

Thanks in advance - Mac

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, leave the registration page unmodified.

Create a new user level column in your user table and set the default value to the lowest user level.

It is up to the site admin to elevate privileges. You will only need to modify the login page to store the user level in a session, and create the various user level rules.

Mac McCarthy

Thanks Jason

Will give it a try, may be back (most likely) for further advice. :-)

Regards Mac

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

Mac McCarthy

Hi Jason

I have a local testing server on which I have copied my "Live" site, including the database, in order to make changes and test before uploading. I checked that I could login using my userId and password as well as Administrator and then search, view etc.

In addition I previously had completed the Security Assist tutorial for User Level Authentification on my local testing server which also worked as expected.

Whilst paying heed to your comments above, I inserted the addition of UserLevel field in the database, I then open the database to check that each user now has a userLevel 1 in their data.

Unfortunately, I fall over at the second step.

I open user_Login.php page, I open the Server Behaviors panel and double click on the first "Security assist authenticate user" behaviour, in order to store the UserLevel session variable. Having done so I open the second instance of "SecurityAssist authenticate users" behaviour and duplicate the changes.

Then I save the user_Login.php page and press F12 to load in a browser to be presented with this error message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare wa_authenticateuser() (previously declared in C:\wamp\www\NWCUtestSite\ursp100\WA_SecurityAssist\Helper_PHP.php:10) in C:\wamp\www\NWCUtestSite\WA_SecurityAssist\Helper_PHP.php on line 48.

So am I choosing the correct page in my URSP site to start this process??

Regards Mac

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

To be able to edit the user registration solution pack files in Dreamweaver, they must be at the root of your Dreamweaver site.

from your description of the problem it sounds like the user registration files are in a sub directory of the Dreamweaver site.

Change the Site definition so that the User registration files are at the root of the Dreamweaver Site.

NOTE: do not confuse the term "Dreamweaver Site" with your actual site. I am referring to the site as defined inside pf Dreamweaver.

Mac McCarthy

Hi Jason

I think I've got it, but before upsetting a working system, I am just checking for understanding:

>>>NOTE: do not confuse the term "Dreamweaver Site" with your actual site.<<<

Currently my URSP files are in a sub folder called "ursp" on both Dreamweaver and in my live site. The majority of pages I wish to have user level authentication applied to are in the root of the site. You are suggesting that I move all the files in this ursp sub folder into the site root which is one level up?

>>> I am referring to the site as defined inside pf Dreamweaver. <<<

I have never come across the term "pf Dreamweaver" what does this mean?

Having copied all the files to a test folder, I have defined a Dreamweaver site as above with all files in the root and it appears to give me the correct access to "Security Assist server behaviours" and setup the rules as expected.

However, I had to make a couple of path changes at the top of each of the restricted root pages, where we previously had an "email confirmed" rule which reflected the ursp sub folder path. Which I assume before I upload back to my live site I should re-adjust back to reflect the correct paths?

I think I will be able to sort out redirects etc, but if all of the above is moving in the right direction then the only further change needs to be in the Administartive section.

I need to add the UserLevel field and be able to update it, rather than having to go directly into the database to make any changes, which the tutorial does not show. However I will give it a go and come back if required.

Thanks Mac

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If moving the User registration files to the root works for you, than keep it that way.

if not, You can keep the user registration files in the subfolder if you wish, but while you are making changes to the login and creating the user level rules, you will need to change the Dreamweaver site definition so that the usrp folder is the root of the Dreamweaver site.

you should also create a few test page and apply the access rules to them in the usrp folder.

After the login has been changed and the rules are created, you can change the site definition back to the way it is now.

You will need to manually add the access rules to the pages in your site rather than using the access rules manager.

"pf Dreamweaver" is a typo for "of Dreamweaver"

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...