close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

large insert to edit area overwrites next field and corrupts list of editable fields

Thread began 6/09/2009 11:49 am by peter348932 | Last modified 6/11/2009 3:20 am by peter348932 | 2931 views | 6 replies |

peter348932

large insert to edit area overwrites next field and corrupts list of editable fields

Hi,
background: each page on this site has 2 fields that the client can update.
I've just handed over the site to a client to "practise" updating the site - the first thing they did was cut and paste their multi-page cv into the first field and saved it - the result was the page engulfed the second field, the contents of the second field is now attached to the end of the first field and where the second field should be is empty. at the same time when you go back into admin and look at the pages to edit ,all pages and fields AFTER this corrupt page are missing. if I delete this page the database corrects itself, but if I cut and paste a multipage document into a field is truncates and means to destroy the other fields on that page as well as making the other pages after this field unreachable.
its seems to be a limit on the size of the text, (my client would like their Cv on a scrolling page)
are there any error checks to stop data over writing other fields?
see - biography.php the bad one - this is what is used to look like with a small amount of text: background.php
thanks
(I have raised this in support)

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'm afraid I don't really understand the question or what is happenning that you don't expect. Maybe you can try to describe it a different way or include more details... I'm just not getting it.

Hopefully someone in support might understand your question and problem.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

peter348932

cms corrupt when pasting several pages.

ok - on a page I have 2 regions :
<?php echo WA_getCMSContent($database_localhost, $localhost,"biography", "quote"); ?>
<?php echo WA_getCMSContent($database_localhost, $localhost,"biography", "main"); ?>
see background.php as an example that works it displays the quote and the main content.
when I go into power cms admin and look at "available site pages" I have 15 odd pages in alphabetical order that I can edit and have similar lines of code in their respective pages.

When I edit the biography site page, I paste a CV (word) document of several pages into the biography main section, and then save and go and look at the result, the main area is truncated and the second area disappears. then when I go back into the admin all the lists of site pages past the page I pasted the CV into have gone and I'm unable to re-edit them.

the duffpage page is: biography.php

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I see. I was originally looking at the page in FireFox, which seems to keep the quote in the correct spot.

Please give me a call at the webassist main line ext. 103.

I would like to look into this further with you directly.

peter348932

Hi,
I'll give you a call - I've just tried the admin in FF and it does edit ok. and also in Safari
but in IE6,7 and 8 nothing is displayed after Biography in the admin.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It looks like you tried to contact me sometime after 8pm my time yesterday. If you could try calling now or sometime in the next 9 hours I should be available.

peter348932

cutting a page at a time corrects this

Hi Ray thanks for your time yesterday. Cutting and Pasting directly is not advisable and to always use the "paste from word" button and tick the cleanup boxes really helped.

the last problem-ette - If I cut and paste the whole word document into the edit area something goes wrong with the display, however cutting&pasting a page at a time into the same area and appending it seems to get over this problem. I suspect its a microsnot's office problem.
anyway - I have a fix thanks again foryour help

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...