close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Ecart5 and the saving of a shopping cart...

Thread began 9/07/2010 3:15 am by daniel279790 | Last modified 10/29/2010 6:58 am by Jason Byrnes | 3253 views | 11 replies |

daniel279790

Ecart5 and the saving of a shopping cart...

Hello

I'm currently using Ecart 4 with Dreamweaver CS3 on a Mac and have used it very successfully on many sites over the years.

A new customer is now giving me some problems and I'm wondering if I upgrade to Ecart5 if I'll be able to achieve what she'd like.

She basically wants to store peoples carts if they quit out of a browser so its all still in the cart the next time the customer logs in.

I've changed the cart from session to cookies to achieve this, but now she's complaining that some customers are filling up there cart.

I know nothing can really be done about this as its all down to the browsers cookie ability, So I was wondering if anyone had any other solutions I could try.

On the Ecart5 Features pages it says 'Store and retrieve shopping cart data' before I spend money on the upgrade, does this mean the new Ecart5 will solve this problem for me or should I be looking at another Dreamweaver extension either from Webassist or another company?

Many Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

This is not going to be supported in eCart 4 or ecart 5.

you would need to create a script that is triggers on the browser being closed.

then stores the cart information in a database.

The only way this will work, is if the users are being logged in so you could associate the order in the database with the logged in user.

a database is the only permanent storage means that will not have a size restriction.

daniel279790

Thanks for the info Jason

I took your idea and simplified it somewhat.
The cart now has 'Save Cart' and 'Load Cart' buttons that save the customers cart for future use.

It all seems to be working fine. Except for one customer who now has a problem that when she loads up a previously saved cart it all display fine but she then can't amend it in any way i.e. try changing the quantity of of a product or to remove one product entirely from the cart.

I've logged into the site with this customers details and it does the same thing with me - it won't let me amend the loaded cart. I've now discovered it does do it with some other customers too.

The carts it seems to do it on are ones where lots of items have been saved, the last one I found had over 40 products saved. If a customer only has a handful of products saved it will amend / add / delete all fine.

Does any one know how to solve this issue.

Also this may be related or unrelated but when I now open the shopping cart page in Dreamweaver I get an error message when it first opens...

'The A WA eCart 01Object script does not define the findServerBehaviours function.'

Is this the reason for the problem?

Many Thanks in advance

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

sounds like the cart object is still set to use cookies, could you send a copy of the cart object file.

For the error, delete the Dreamweaver cache file from the users config folder:
common_installation_issues.pdf

daniel279790

Thanks for the help again Jason

That's now sorted out the error message.

Attached is my eCart Object file for you to look at!

Attached Files
ecart_object.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I can see in the eCart code that the cart has been set to use a session not a cookie, but you description of the issue sounds like the cookie limitation.

Does the load cart page use this same cart object?

perhaps the version of the cart object file on the server is an older version that was set to use cookies?

try deleting the cart object files from the server and re uploading.

daniel279790

Hi Jason

I've re-uploaded the whole WA_eCart folder and the problem is still happening!

Really stuck now, I think you're onto somehting with the cookies bit. It was as said in original post set to cookies for a while before going back to session.

Is it possible that a bit of code is still wanting cookies???

Attached is the PHP code from the shopping cart to see if you can spot anything.

Many Thanks again

Attached Files
phpcode.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

don't see anything in the code to hint at the problem, can you post a link where i can see the problem?

daniel279790

Hi Jason

I've set up a test example for you to see

Go to www.woodware.co.uk

Use the top right login window...
Username test01
Password testpassword

Then click on the yellow text in the top right that says '...Order Basket'

In the middle white section a new button will appear 'Load a previously saved basket'

Click that button to load up the shopping basket.

Now if you try and amend or delete any of the items in the basket and click the 'Update Basket' button (way down at the bottom of the page) nothing will change.

Like I said before I've had to add an awful lot of products to make this error appear, unfortunately this website sells to the trade and so a lot of their customers regularly order this kind of volume!

If it still seems to work, try changing one of the products to a big amount - say a quantity of 30! and then 'Update Basket' again.

Fingers crossed, you can figure it out!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

not seeing anything yet, can you send a copy of the order_basket.php page that may help

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...