close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Solution Recipe for adding Hashed Password causes Incorrect table name ''

Thread began 8/30/2010 10:28 pm by Jim376112 | Last modified 9/10/2010 8:10 pm by Jason Byrnes | 3456 views | 7 replies |

Jim376112

Solution Recipe for adding Hashed Password causes Incorrect table name ''

Hello,

I am trying to implement hashed passwords for SecurityAssist. I am following the series of seven videos @ securityassist/ that describe how to modify SecurityAssist generated pages to use a hashed password.

I have carefully completed all of the steps but when I fill out a User Registration form and push Register I get an page back that simply contains:

Incorrect table name ''

Can somebody give me some idea about what would cause this error or some suggestions on how to start to debug this? The two single quotes with no context suggest that perhaps a variable has not been set to a value but since all the pages are generated by SecurityAssist I don't see how this would happen. In particular, I have located $WA_table in the user_Registration.php page that is being processed and I see that it is set to a value so it is not empty.

Thank you!

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

can you send a copy of the registration page in a zip archive so I can look at the code.

Jim376112

Hi Jason.

Thanks for the reply. I've attached the zip.

<attachment removed>

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

cahnge:
$WA_table = "`user`";

to:
$WA_table = "user";

the issue is caused by using the table named "user". this is a reserved word in some databases.

Jim376112

Hi Jason,

Thanks for figuring that one out! In retrospect, using an ID of "user" was probably careless - shouda guessed that might be a problem! I changed the table name to user_profile and replaced user w/that new ID in the registration page and got the same error. Then I removed the ` as you had suggested when I was using the name= user and it worked fine. To be clear, is it the case that the ` characters were added (by who) because "user" is a reserved ID and that in turn caused confusion (for the server?)? So the problem that generated the error message was actually the ` characters? Can you give me a little more info on exactly what when wrong here and why?

Thanks again!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the problem is that our code is being a little too protective of reserved words, it is a bug that has been logged.

the code to create the sql automatically places the "`" character around the table name.

There is also a reserved words list that is checked, if the table name you are using is on this list, then the $WA_table variable gets set with the "`" character as well.

This results in the SQL being created as:

SELECT ``user`` ....

so it's doubling up the "`" character causing the error.

Jim376112

Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to fill in the details. As a software developer (C++, Java, SQL, ...) I'm always interested in "what went wrong" to try and learn from it.

Another "5 Star" reply!

Finally, can I (you) remove the attached .zip file? It appears that it can be downloaded by anyone and it contains info about the client's site. Since the problem and solution are fully described in the text of the thread nothing is lost by removing it.

Thanks again.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Sure, the attachment has been removed.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...