close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Relationship between two tables

Thread began 8/26/2010 2:53 pm by Vinicios Nussemeyer | Last modified 8/27/2010 11:39 am by Jason Byrnes | 1406 views | 5 replies |

Vinicios Nussemeyer

Relationship between two tables

I have a project with the following characteristics:

Mysql tables:

Table customers (cliente_id, name, email address)
Table processes (process_ID, processo_numero, Arquiquo)
Table clientes_produtos (produtos_produto_id, clientes_cliente_id)

The relationship between the tables is OK: insert page register successfully process data in the table and writes the process ID of the client relationship on the table without problems.

Page processos_results:
This page lists all the cases registered in mysql. The recordset process was created automatically with the DataAssist. I show the fields processo_numero and file to download, no problems. The customer need not enter into search forms for listing the processes as they are filtered by customer ID (variable section) and I have done tests and it worked.

ISSUE:

My problem is in showing a field with the NAME of the customer linked to the process in the RESULTS page.
What I have done to try to solve:
1. I created a RECORDSET_CLIENTES to display just the client (name) linked to the process.
2. I tried to follow the tutorial post "Display data from related tables in results" in the forum but had no success. I created the second Recordset (RECORDSET_CLIENTES). But it really did not understand the steps to create a form variable and then move the second Recordset (RECORDSET_CLIENTES) into the loop.

HELP:
1. Please I need help on this issue. I think the tutorial post which I refer is incomplete because it ends without solution
2. Where can I find a complete tutorial and well-documented and preferably with the screens. The DataAssist has many tutorials and what I found was a tutorial file giving a perfect explanation for how the relationship between the tables but does not show how SHOW (results), edit or delete related data between them.

Thanks,
Vinicios Nussemeyer

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you need to use a join query to display the related data.
See the following site for details on joined queries:
sql_join.asp

if you need help creating the syntax for the join query, a tool like Navicat is a great addition:
mysql_overview.html

it has a visual interface for creating complex queries.

Vinicios Nussemeyer

Thanks Jason,

but I wonder if the WebAssist has some tutorial to their customers as display data that are related to the three tables. As I said before: the tool "Relational Table Manager" works well for entering data in the table of relation between the two. But I need some guidance on how to do this with DataAssist because I am not PHP programmer but a designer and use the tools of WebAssist to streamline my development process and offer solutions better and better for my clients.
Thanks,
Vinicios

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

data assist doesn't have a way of showing the related data. you have to create the joined query to accomplish this.

The navicat tool I linked to before will help you in creating the query if you do not know how to create it yourself.

Vinicios Nussemeyer

Thanks Jason,

I'm downloading the trial version of Navicat. I will make the process of displaying the data it then.
Thank you for listening.
Vinicios

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...