close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Only Unique Values in Dynamic Drop Downs

Thread began 8/17/2010 4:55 pm by madmatmail408476 | Last modified 8/24/2010 3:59 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2943 views | 11 replies |

madmatmail408476

Only Unique Values in Dynamic Drop Downs

I have now managed to make my three Dynamic Drop Downs to work (with some much appreciated help) but now have another issue.

Setup: Select Practice (Dynamic List works fine), select Date (works fine), select Vet - This one works but not fully. What it does is show all Vets associated with a Practice but these are not then ALSO filtered by the Date selection in the previous drop down as I was expecting.

I am probably just getting muddle up in how the database and dynamic drop downs operate but I cannot see my error (i suspect it is with Create Dynamic Array). Once everything selected I need it to show me what Vets are in that Practice on that Date - nothing else. The child and grandchild tables share the same database table.

Also:

How can I return only unique values in the drop downs? I have one drop down based on dates and the same date can repeat in the database but I would like it to only come up once to be able to select it.

Thank you.

Attached Files
dd Unique.txt.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the trick to making this work is to concatenate the branch and date in the child recordset and use that as the child value in the Child Create Dynamic array.
Do the same concatenation in the grandchild recordset, and use it as the parent value in the grandchild create dynamic array behavior.

If you need help with this send a backup of your database and I will give more specifics.

madmatmail408476

Concatenation

Hi Jason,

I know of concatenation but have never actually used it - I would not be sure how to use it in this implementation. I have included a backup of the relevant table that both the Child and grandchild use and the code from the page is on the top post.

Thanks.

Attached Files
veterinary_surgeon_table.sql.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

your parent list uses a the branch table, can you send this table as well so I can create a sample for you.

madmatmail408476

Other Table

Here it is.

Attached Files
branch_table.sql.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

So the child and grandchild recordsets will get created as :

child:

SELECT veterinary_surgeon_table.branch_number, veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date, CONCAT(veterinary_surgeon_table.branch_number, veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date) as childID
FROM veterinary_surgeon_table

grandChild:

SELECT veterinary_surgeon_table.vet_id, veterinary_surgeon_table.vet_name, CONCAT(veterinary_surgeon_table.branch_number, veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date) AS parentID

When adding the rsChild Create Dynamic Array behavior, you will not be able to select the childID alias created by the recordset, so set the child id to the unique_id column, you will then have to go into the code and change the unique_id column name to childID to use the alias.

same thing when createing the dynamic array for the rsGrandchild recordset, you will need to set the Parent ID to the unique_id column, then go into the code and change it to use the parentID alias.

madmatmail408476

Unique Values in Drop Down

Hi Jason,

That seems to have worked though I will have to look at it more closely to understand what it is doing.

One other question - it feels like I am almost there!

How do I ask it to return only unique values in the drop down. You will see from my set up that the child drop down could return the same date three time. Selecting any of the three identical dates correctly shows the three available vets in the grandchild drop down but it would be neater to simply have one of the same date...

Thanks again.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

add:
GROUP BY veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date

to the child recordset

SELECT veterinary_surgeon_table.branch_number, veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date, CONCAT(veterinary_surgeon_table.branch_number, veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date) as childID
GROUP BY veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date

madmatmail408476

Hi Jason,

My child recordset now looks like this (I have a session variable in there too):

SELECT veterinary_surgeon_table.branch_number, veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date, CONCAT(veterinary_surgeon_table.branch_number, veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date) as childID FROM veterinary_surgeon_table WHERE practice_id = %s GROUP BY veterinary_surgeon_table.surgery_date ORDER BY surgery_date ASC

But now for one surgery it returns no date and the other only 1 date, 21st March 2010. There is definitely more data in the database, can you see where I am going wrong.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

remove the group by statement.

since you want to have the end result filter by both the data and the branch number you are going to have to show the duplicate dates.

The way this is working is that the first list passes the branch number.

in the second list we are using the branch number concatenated with the date to filter the third list.

values for the second list will look like:

30512-30-3010

this is branch number: 305 date: 12-30-2010

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...