close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Ecart deposit calculations

Thread began 8/12/2010 5:48 am by dmtompki336862 | Last modified 8/23/2010 11:53 am by Jason Byrnes | 1531 views | 5 replies |

dmtompki336862

Ecart deposit calculations

I haven't done too much investigation on this topic yet. But, what my client is asking is that I add on to his ecart setup, a deposit calculation. Basically require a 50 dollar deposit on reservation and pay in full for a cake. I currently have ecart setup without a payment gateway. They would like to use a pay pal basic account for the deposits. I'm just requesting any advice on the direction I should take, or if I'm out of luck with using ecart.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

You should be able to use eCart for this. I would not suggest using PayPal Payments Standard though, it would be better to offer PayPals Express Checkout rather than the Payments Standard. The Express Checkout provided a better user experience and is easier to implement in my experience.

How exactly you handle this will depend on the exact requirements that you have for obtaining the deposit and then charging a further amount later. The most simply way to do this would be to sell the cakes as $50 items, then have another column in the cart to hold the difference in price from the total. This way you will be able to store the order in your db and lookup up the amount that is left to be charged for the cake.

If you are not familiar with eCart you should take a look at the getting started guide that is available on the eCart support page. It has a lot of useful info on making use of eCart.

dmtompki336862

Deposit calculations

Thanks for the reply!

Is there a way to calculate the deposit from the eCart values?

Example Order:
Item 1 = $20
Item 1 = $20
Item 1 = $20
Item 1 = $20
Cake option 1 = $30
TOTAL = $110

DEPOSIT $80 (cost of cake + $50)

So, I need to calculate the deposit price on the confirm page, and direct them to paypal for payment. Then submit the remainder to the database.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the add to cart button, you will give an ID for the cake.

On the charges tab, you can created a charge to check if the cake ID is in the cart, if it is, then add the $50 deposit.

Say the cakes ID where 22, you would create a new calculation:
triggers:
Presence of an item in the Cart
If item '22' exists in the cart

calculation:
flat rate charge of 50.

dmtompki336862

calculations add to price

That was good in theory, but I already have prices on the items, when I added the charges like you suggested, it added the charges to the total and gives an incorrect subtotal/total cost. I could remove the prices, but then I get a incorrect subtotal with a correct total.

There's a misunderstanding here: I not only need to collect for the cost of the cake (which has two options, $20 for 1/4 sheet and $40 for 1/2 sheet) but then I need to charge a $50 deposit for the overall reservation. So, overall I need to get a payment of $70 or $90.

I have an existing ecart with multiple items for parties (and cakes). A party may cost $10 per person (with a minimum of 10), in addition they may (or may not) order a cake. Everything currently works fine, calculating the total cost of the parties. However there is no online payment system. Everything is paid via phone or check. They would now like to collect deposits and the cost of cakes when reserving the dates and remainder at the party.

I'm probably not explaining this very well (sorry). Is there a way I can send you the url privately?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you cant really send just a portion of the cart price to paypal, the entire cart price needs to be passed.

if your existing items already have a price, then you need to create discount rules to discount those items so that only the cake and the deposit is passed over.

you could create a new cart column for itemType to make the discount rules easier to create.

For items that should not be passed to paypal set the itemType to 0

For items that should be passed to paypal set the itemType to 1

then create the discount as:
Trigger:
number of items with a specific column value:
if the number of items where 'itemType' has a value of '0' is '>' a value of '0'

Calculation:
Based on items with a specific value:
total of 'TotalPrice' where itemType' has a value of '0' 'plus' '0'

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...