close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

SA-Encrypt Password NOT sending email

Thread began 8/11/2010 12:00 pm by sadie406824 | Last modified 8/20/2010 11:42 am by sadie406824 | 3780 views | 22 replies |

sadie406824

SA-Encrypt Password NOT sending email

Security Assist with the newPW.php file! I have ran through the tutorials for security assist and user level authentication (4 times now) and I have read through forums, posts & threads for the past 4 hours trying to figure out the following:

1) If I go to login page and login with correct username and password stored in my visitors table then everything works great.

2) If I go to login page and enter my username and randomly type a password I am taken to the visitors_emailPW.php. I enter the email address associated with the account. Click send and I am returned to the login page.

No email arrives, but the password value in the database is a long ass string of numbers (meaning it has been encrypted).

3) If I take and copy that long number and paste it into the login page password field and using my username, then I am redirected to the profile page where I can reset my password. Nothing happens and the database is not updated.

I have tried everything.... I even had my old PHP e-commerce teacher try to help me with this and no luck!!!! I have attached the login page, emailPW page, update page and new password page. Please help me if you can!!!

Attached Files
visitors_EmailPW.php.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

sadie406824

SA Error Messages???

Below is the error message I receive when I login using a real username (already stored in db) and a made up password. It sends me to my page visitors_EmailPW.php and this is the error message I receive at the top of the page. I can still view the page and it's layout but I do not understand? The example of the Helper_PHP.php file that is found in the SA support files folder that I downloaded has the exact same setup on line 5??

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/RainbowRacing/visitors_EmailPW.php:2) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/RainbowRacing/WA_SecurityAssist/Helper_PHP.php on line 5

If I enter my e-mail address (that is stored in the db) and hit send I get only these two error messages - nothing else in the way of layout;

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/RainbowRacing/visitors_EmailPW.php:2) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/RainbowRacing/WA_SecurityAssist/Helper_PHP.php on line 5

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/RainbowRacing/visitors_EmailPW.php:2) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/RainbowRacing/WA_SecurityAssist/Helper_PHP.php on line 107

Like I said, line 5 & line 107 are exactly the same as SA example??? Please help me while I still have hair on my pretty head!!!!

Eric Mittman

It sounds as though there are a few problems going on here. The only part that I see password encryption applied is on the registration page and the email password page. The login page and the profile update page are not encrypting the password. You will need to follow the solution recipe for these parts and ensure that you get these pages updated correctly.

The next issue is the email password page not sending the email. I can see that you have configured your email server and the port. Do you know if your host requires a username and password to make use of this email server? The code to send the message out looks good to me so you may need some additional info from your host regarding the email server and settings to use. Do you have Universal Email anywhere on your site that is working? If so the same settings should work on the email password page.

The next issue that I can see with things is that you have a mixed up system currently. In your db you have unencrypted and encrypted passwords. I know this because you say that you can login with the regular username and password but the login page is not encrypting the values. You will need to ensure that all of the passwords in the db are encrypted for this all to work. Once you get the email password page worked out you can use this page to update the passwords and make them encrypted.

sadie406824

Thank you, well maybe I should just start over with the whole visitors table (user's is the table used in the solution recipes which I cannot find for free) Is there something inside the db visitors table that I need to alter so that it works like the users table on the examples/tutorials. Just wanna make sure that there isn't something in the db that needs to be there that might cause the same issues once I run through the wizard for the fifth time.

I did have this working when I first did it and then I brought everything into work from my home office and it did not work, so I tried to change several things with no luck. I will call my hosting provider but I am working on a local testing server (mamp) not on my remote server. When trying to use localhost and port 80 I still had no luck with emails sending?? So even though I am working on my local server I still may need to have the smtp settings from comcast (my hosting provider)? I am sure this info is online.

Eric Mittman

It should not make a difference what table is used so long as you have the email and password columns at a minimum. All of the other columns just hold extra details like the users name and such.

As for sending emails you will need to have access to an SMTP server that you can use to send out emails. In my experience the servers offered by your ISP are not normally accessible from the pages that run on your localhost. On my pc I have made use of the handy tool called Free SMTP server. This tool will allow you to test sending emails on a Windows pc. You will need an active SMTP server in order to send out the emails.

sadie406824

Ok, that is weird though..... I was able to send an email to my assistant with her new garbled password and she did receive it. Wish I knew how I did it? Ok, so I need to try and find a smtp local server for my mac. Is this correct? Otherwise how will I test the pages locally first?

Eric Mittman

You do not necessarily need to have an SMPT server running locally, it is just the one way to do this. You just need to have access to an SMTP server that will send out the emails. If you have one running on another computer on the network this should also work. With a working SMTP server referenced in the settings it should send out an email. If you were able to get emails sending before locally then there must have been a server running in the location specified.

sadie406824

Emailing Password still not working.....

So i have purchased MAMP Pro and I set up a host account using DynDNS.com - I decided to set all of the mail instances to Mail for Linux leaving everything blank. Nothing, I tried using localhost settings, nothing, I tried using the settings setup in Mamp Pro and still nothing. I am changing this information on every PHP page that calls for it and nothing? So confused and I do not know how I was able to get it to work the very first time I did it. After I applied security settings to those pages everything went crazy and it has never worked again. So confused???

sadie406824

Universal Email-Cannot send emails

Hello, I have been struggling with the email password page and decided that I would call my hosting provider that hosts both my email & site. I wrote down all of the info for outgoing & incoming mail servers and their ports. These were the same settings I have tried multiple times with no luck. So I decided I would try and text Universal email to see if I am sending or receiving and absolutely nothing. I have been stuck on this stupid email thing for a week now and it appears that no on is reading my posts??? Really need to know what the hell is going on here? I have mamp pro, I have outgoing messages (from hosting provider) as smtp.hmc1.comcast.net - Which uses plain text. These are the combinations that I have tried so far with NO SUCCESS:

Mail for windows
Server Name: localhost
Port: 80 (also tried 25 & 3306)
Return Path: orders@rainbowracing.com
Organization: blank
X-Mailer: Blank
Character Set: Blank

Mail for windows
Server Name: smtp.rainbowracing.com
Port: 25

Mail for windows
Server Name: smtp.hmc1.comcast.net
Port: 587

Mail for windows
Server Name: smtp.rainbowracing.com
Port: 587
Return Path: sales@rainbowracing.com

I have tried each one of these server combinations with MAIL FOR LINUX as well. Can somebody please throw me a friggin' bone here?? From what my hosting provider has told me the last one should be working fine..... but of course it is not!!!! Please, please help!!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...