close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Plugins explained

Thread began 8/10/2010 11:13 am by Steve | Last modified 8/10/2010 2:14 pm by Steve | 1246 views | 5 replies |

Steve

Plugins explained

Can someone pls explain the difference and benefit of a Plugin as used in this framework extension as opposed to a basic server side include?

And are the Plugins of our own construction?

I'm not seeing the benefit, but, if there are benefits to the CMS systems I already create, I would like to know.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Look at:

showthread.php?t=15228

or:

showthread.php?t=15241

They both have people describing how and why it is used.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Steve

I read those and am still not clear. One citation was that you did not need to strip out header and footers from your plugins/includes. That's never been a problem and DW renders the Includes in place so still not sure what the benefit is.

I'll just buy the plugin and probably realize the subtle benefit over some more blatant benefit in time.

Steve

test so far..

Ok, so I created a plug-in just like I would any other include:
Create page with feature that is to be a plugin.
Do so in a page that has css and other structural elements to determine proper values.
Next cut only the code wanted in the plugin and paste into new file and save to some directory.
Next use WA Framework Extension to select file as a plugin and insert where needed in some other page.

Benefits so far: Conditional use of an Include.

Will continue to explore... I'm sure there is more than a basic isset conditional function..?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The advantage is that the include can have body code, header css, and server side code to make the include into a functional module... it can be in a sub-directory, and all of the links can be relative to the plugin page and will automatically be updated to work when placed on a page in a different directory.

Make sure you move any associated css and server side code that goes with the functionality you moved into the plugin so you can keep it all together. That is the benefit of plugins over regular includes:

1) It allows you to keep your html, header, and server code all together.
2) Allows you to use relative links from sub-directories and updates them to work whenever and wherever the plugin is used.
3) Because the links can stay relative to the plugin location and not the page that uses them, all Dreamweaver functionality can be used without adjusting manually to reflect the end location.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Steve

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  The advantage is that the include can have body code, header css, and server side code to make the include into a functional module... it can be in a sub-directory, and all of the links can be relative to the plugin page and will automatically be updated to work when placed on a page in a different directory.

Make sure you move any associated css and server side code that goes with the functionality you moved into the plugin so you can keep it all together. That is the benefit of plugins over regular includes:

1) It allows you to keep your html, header, and server code all together.
2) Allows you to use relative links from sub-directories and updates them to work whenever and wherever the plugin is used.
3) Because the links can stay relative to the plugin location and not the page that uses them, all Dreamweaver functionality can be used without adjusting manually to reflect the end location.  

Ray,
Thanks for trying to clarify. I fear that your explanation makes me think I will be including a CSS file multiple times (in the parent template and also the plugins) OR will be cutting the CSS apart and created multiple CSS files specific to each regional plugin.?

I think a nice template (set of files) showing the benefits of this extension would really help people see any benefits if presented in a actual working environment?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...