close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Boolean Search

Thread began 8/04/2010 7:05 am by tyler815351411 | Last modified 8/09/2010 2:05 pm by Eric Mittman | 1694 views | 5 replies |

tyler815351411

Boolean Search

Hi,

I have setup a database and search function using Data Assist. All works fine but my customer wants to be able to use Boolean search in one of the fields. When I change the Column type to Number/Boolean and then try the search it seems to return everything in the database.

Please could you advise what I am doing wrong or advise how I can setup a text field to allow multiple keyword search within that field.

Example:

I want to be able to search for: ward nurse Nottingham and for only records with these keywords to show. How I have setup at the moment it only seems to have one keyword in order to show.

Kind Regards

Brian

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Based on how you have described the search I don't think that a boolean search is the type that you need. Instead you should be using the keyword type search and use the includes as the comparison. The trick to get the search to only return records that contain all of the phrases is to use the logical separators for AND in the interface. The default is a comma and space together (, ). You can make it so that this is a space only and update the OR to something else. If you do this any words that are separated by a space would imply an AND in between them so that only a record where all three of these values are present in the column specified would be returned. I think this is just what you are going for.

tyler815351411

Hi,

Many thanks for your response I have updated the results page and the code generated looks like this:

$WADbSearch1->keywordComparison($KeyArr1,"".((isset($_POST["S_CV_Info"]))?$_POST["S_CV_Info"]:"") ."","AND","Includes","%20AND%20","%20OR%20","%22","%22",0);

but when i do a search it returns all records, i think i have the above code wrong.

Kind Regards

Brian

Eric Mittman

The code that is generated by the DataAssist Server behavior can be difficult to examine out of context. Please post back with a copy of the search and this results page in a zip archive so that I can take a look at them for you.

tyler815351411

Hi,

Many thanks, I have attached the results and search page.

The field is CV_Info

All the other search boxes are ok.

Kind Regards

Brian

Attached Files
Dynamic.zip

Eric Mittman

I can see that you have the search properly configured to use " AND " for the and separator and " OR " for the or separator. To see why you are getting the results you are reporting I have opened a ticket for you so that we can look into this issue further with you. To update the ticket or check on it's status please login and visit your support history.

supporthistory.php

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...