close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Shipping to select areas or zip codes

Thread began 7/23/2010 12:38 pm by mrobben375515 | Last modified 11/04/2010 7:21 am by Jason Byrnes | 2888 views | 15 replies |

mrobben375515

Shipping to select areas or zip codes

We have a site for a steak company, and they want to have different shipping options for certain areas. The packages need to get to customers in 2 days to keep the meat fresh, so we've been using 2nd day air for anything outside of our local area. Could we set up a map so that people within a certain distance could get a ground rate and have it only be an option for people within a certain area?

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

What you have described seems possible technically, but implementing it might be tricky. You would need to come up with a way to determine what the area you can deliver to by ground is, then determine if the user is within that area. There is no tie in for a map for any portion of eCart.

Perhaps there is a short list of zip codes that should have ground shipping available. You could check the shipping zip code that is submitted on the checkout page and if it is in the list you can set a session variable. This session variable could be the service type that you use in your shipping quote server behavior. If the zip is in the list set it to the ground option, if the zip is not in the list then set it to the 2nd day air option.

If you have any further questions about this type of setup or any specific questions about accomplishing any part of this let us know and we will help with whatever we can.

mrobben375515

The area shown on MY UPS to be 2 day ground would be pretty large. Would it be hard to have it search a long list of zip codes if we were able to get them from UPS?

Eric Mittman

The best way to search a large set of zip codes would be to store them in a 2nd day ground table. You can have a recordset that selects the records from this table where the zip code entered by the user matches. If there are any matches then they are 2nd day delivery range and you can set a session variable accordingly. This would be better than having the values listed statically in the code since you can update the db to easily add or remove values.

mrobben375515

Can you give me some more detailed instructions? I'll have to create a table in the database for the zip codes, create a recordset to pull that table, and how do I have it check the recordset for the zip code to create the session variable for shipping?

Eric Mittman

This is not a supported feature so it is not something that I will be able to offer detailed instructions for but here is an overview.

First create the table and populate it with the zip codes.

Next add a recordset to your confirm page, it will select all from this zip code table, you will need to filter it on the posted shipping zip code from the checkout page.

You could then set a session variable to the 2 day ground value for the shipping quote, you will want to make sure that the trigger for this set session variable is 'if the recordset was not empty', if it is empty then you would want to set this session variable to your other shipping option.

Finally you would update the shipping quote server behavior to make use of this session variable for the service type.

mrobben375515

It seems like I can do all of that with the web assist plugins. What part isn't supported and would require custom coding? And can we hire anyone from WebAssist to write the code if we need to?

Eric Mittman

You would need to come up with the table and populate it with the values for the zip codes. The next custom part is making the set session variable store the service type in a session variable based on the values from the recordset. Once you are getting the service type in the session variable you can then edit the shipping quote server behavior to make use of it.

If you need a developer to help you get this incorporated you can post a thread to our jobs board.

mrobben375515

I know it's been a really long time but I'm trying to work through this finally. I have attached a folder with the files and screenshots of the different steps I've made. I have the table and recordset setup. I created the filter, tested it with a demo value and it worked. I then set up the session variable for when the recordset is empty and then another session variable for when it is not empty. From what you said earlier its seems like those two session variables I created need to be combined into one session variable. How do I do that? I think after that it should be easy to edit the ecart object to reference this session variable correct? Thanks so much for your help.

Attached Files
ShippingFiles.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

no, you do not combine the sessions into one.

they should both have the same name.

one will be set if the recordset is empty, the other if it is not empty.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...