close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Major problems

Thread began 7/19/2010 10:17 am by FPeter | Last modified 7/26/2010 3:29 pm by Eric Mittman | 2041 views | 8 replies |

FPeter

Major problems

Hi folks,

I must admit to being new to database driven websites but I have persisted with the tutorials and thought I had finally got there, but have problems.

I designed a template to use with a property website after inserting a editable region to hold the search options menu etc.

Everything seemed to work fine as I went through the Data Assist Wizard until I tried to view the pages created.

Some of the pages extend farther than the template, menus don't display properly on some pages, text boxes or menus not visible on others.

What am I doing wrong?

Been at this for about a week and a half and feel like giving up

Another question, do I just upload all the files to my server like any other website?

Any help appreciated.

Peter

Sign in to reply to this post

FPeter

Major Problems - Update

Hi guys

I have managed to get through the Data Assist Wizard again after deleting everything I had done up till now and running it again, now just minor problems as it looks better.

Can anyone answer a few questions for me

1. When viewing on a local server should I see the search results from the database or just the the sort of preview view until uploaded to the server?

2. I would like to have an index page with the search options on it, do I just save the search page as index?

3. How do I add options to the menus such as numbers to choose for amount of bedrooms?

4. I need a few other pages which will be static and need to add a text menu for these, any idea how to go about this?

5. Also need to add a footer with details such as email link and phone number but it must stay in the same position all the time?

6. The search I have at the moment is for searching properties to let, I would like to add a search for properties for sale, is it possible to have the two options on the search page and how do I do it?

As always I appreciate any help with any of the above

Peter

Eric Mittman

I will try to answer these in the order you posted them.

In order to create the pages with DataAssist you will need to have a connection to your db. Once the pages are created you will only see information that comes from your db. If you are connected locally then you can test the pages locally.

You can put the search form onto any page, it should always post to the results page.

If you would like to make a text input into a select list you can just update it to be a select list. So long as it contains valid values and the form element is named the same it will work the same.

I'm not sure about the question being asked in #4, please explain a little on this.

If you have a footer div in your template this should be in the same relative place all the time. If you want to make the content area a fixed height you should specify this with css.

To add the other search you should first create the search and results page with DataAssist, then you can add the new search form to your existing search page.

FPeter

Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply, felt a bit lonely there.

Please forgive my ignorance, only been involved with database driven websites for a week.

I have a connection to my database as I can see some of the descriptions etc that I added so I take it that this is working fine, sorry.

Do you mean that I can just add the options to the menus, no need to use the Dynamic option, this would be much easier for me at the moment?

I will try to explain No 4 a little better, I would like to add some text links in the top right of the page to other pages, such as Home, About, Lettings, Sales & Contact, these pages will have information that won't change or doesn't need to be changed.

I have a test address with a test page that shows the way I want it to look but can't seem to get it in Data Assist.

The other search I want isn't as complicated as the first, just a button to a page to view all properties for sale but I only want a certain amount of results on the page at one time to keep within the template, similar to the results page would be ideal.

One other thing, I want to insert thumb images instead of the default thumb image, do I have to have a field in the database table for this to work?

Appreciate you taking the time to help

Peter

Eric Mittman

It can be difficult to work through so many things in a single response so I will go with the first two points that you have additional questions about:

Do you mean that I can just add the options to the menus, no need to use the Dynamic option, this would be much easier for me at the moment?

I will try to explain No 4 a little better, I would like to add some text links in the top right of the page to other pages, such as Home, About, Lettings, Sales & Contact, these pages will have information that won't change or doesn't need to be changed.  

In this first part are you referring to converting the text input to a select list? If so then yes you can make this select list static, the entries must match the term that you will be searching for though. If you have the values in your db then you should be able to make a recordset and set that as the source of the select list. This way if any of the values are updated in the db this list would be updated automatically.

You can add in links or a static menu on any of the pages, if the page is template derived then you will need to make sure that you add this to an editable region of the page. Let's try to work out these issues first before going on to any of the others. It is best to work on these things one at a time.

FPeter

Hi Eric

Really appreciate your response and help.

Maybe it will become a bit clearer if I explain a bit more.

I was wanting options in one menu option for number of bedrooms from 0 - 9, all of these values won't always be represented in the table but I would like the option in the menu anyway.

The same goes for the options in others, would like to have values that may or may not be in the table all the time.

I think I know what you mean for the links part, I can add another editable region at the start and after inserting the menus and search I can add the links later, is that correct?

Cheers
Peter

Eric Mittman

With the select list it seems like you should probably have static values if you want to maintain a higher level of control over the choices that are available. So long as the values match for the terms you are trying to search then having a static list should not be a problem.

As for adding in the links after the fact you are correct, you can just add in an editable region then update the area with whatever content that you would like for each of the pages. Any part of the page that you want to keep the same on all pages should be in the non editable regions.

If you have any further questions on any other parts please let us know and we will be glad to help with whatever we can.

FPeter

Hi Eric

Really appreciate your help knowing I can populate the menus with the values I want makes it a lot easier as the content could change so much.

I'm sure I will need help in the future but will try to get the hang of things first.

Cheers
Peter

Eric Mittman

Sounds good, let us know if you have any further questions.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...