close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

null value

Thread began 6/04/2009 5:01 am by roby258376 | Last modified 6/04/2009 8:12 am by roby258376 | 2880 views | 8 replies |

roby258376

null value

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to do something and I'm hoping someone here can tell me how.

I need to show records based on:

1) authorization level = 7
2) the person belonging to committee 1 or committee 2.

If I go into the database and manually set each database record to null for committee_ID and committee_2_ID (unless of course they are on a committee) the following works.

SELECT *
FROM members
WHERE members.auth_ID=7 AND members.committee_ID is not null AND members.committee_2_ID is not null

but I cannot get the db fields for committee_ID and committee_2_ID to default to null if no committee is entered when a member is inserted or updated. So new members and any members who are edited to take them off a committee, is still showing up in my search.

any help is appreciated.

Sign in to reply to this post

xag

Why not just get all memembers and use Secruity Assist Show region to handle it? Make a rule and bam your done. That is what I do throughout my whole site... just made a ton of rules and use session variables to see if a user signed in and what their credentials are then show a region if not don't show it.

roby258376

The list is viewable by all, so I don't think that would work. What I need to know is how to set a field in the database to the actual value (null), if no other value is entered, or if an empty value is entered.

I just can't find anywhere that tells me how to do that.

xag

Make the default value/binding in the DB (N'Null') so if there is nothing inserted it will be Null

roby258376

That's what I'd like to do, but I don't know how. What steps do I need to take to make the default value null instead of empty?

xag

well what version os SQL are you using? go into your table design and in the coulmn properties panel under General there is a place where you can insert Default Value or Binding

roby258376

Hi again,

I set the default value as (N,'Null') and then tried (Null), ('Null') and anything else I could think of. They all result in the db field being empty which is not what I need, I need it to actually have the (null) value inserted, so that not null works. Any suggestions?

xag

well if you put it in your defult binding just as null it should show up but not if you are inserted something. The last idea i have to work around it is to have a default hidden field set to Null and just insert that into your DB when no other input is inserted with DA

roby258376

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the help.

I ended up setting the default value in the form field to a blank space, and rewriting my query to != ' '. that seems to have done the trick.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...