close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

confirm.php and paypal ipn

Thread began 7/14/2010 3:35 pm by watercolor346374 | Last modified 7/19/2010 11:03 am by Jason Byrnes | 1715 views | 5 replies |

watercolor346374

confirm.php and paypal ipn

I know I would not have this problem if my client did paypal flow, but I work with small business owners and that service is too expensive. So I have to deal with the paypal basic account and their ipn.php. The paypal basic account is a webassist option when building the cart. In that case, how do I combine my confirm.php (which has all of the info I want to post to the db) and the ipn. I do not care about posting to the pp tables they have. All I want to do is have the ipn.php redirect my client to the site and if approved, the success page comes up and the tables are updated or if the sale is refused, failure.php comes up. Does anyone have a script for that which works with webassist confirm.php.
Thank you

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

paypal IPN does not work this way.

the workflow of PayPal standard is this:
the confirm page posts the information to the paypal servers.

On the paypal server the costumer enters their information for how the transaction should be processed.

The paypal server excepts or denies this information and directs the user to the success or failure page.

At this point the transaction is line to be processed. it can take 30 seconds or 5 days for the transaction to got through. Once the transaction is processed the IPN post is made by paypal servers to the page you specify.

The drawback of paypal payments standard is that it is not processed real time the IPN page is never seen by the customer.

Instead of using payPal Payments standard, i would recommend using Paypal Express checkout, this is a free paypal option that is processed real time and does not require using an IPN post.

watercolor346374

confirm.php and ipn vs express checkout

Hi,
Thank you Jason for your advice. What you are saying is that with pp express, once the customer is approved or not, they will be directed back to the site and if approved my db tables will update?
Thank you, I will look into express checkout...will I have to use their code on my checkout button?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, express checkout transactions occur in real time, whereas PayPal Payments standard are processed when the server gets to it.

watercolor346374

ecart4 paypal express

thank you Jason,
I have my cart, checkout page and confirm already set up. I have been going over all of the webassist tutorials, articles etc re pp express pay. It appears that this is something that I should have set up when I began building my cart and other pages, since WA has it built into the set up procedure. Also the universal email, which I have is also available to set up at the get go. Should I start over with the cart, confirm, checkout, and use my old scripts to put in my session variables for shipping, and taxes etc? or can I just put the paypal express buttons in place. What about the add to cart button, does that have to be special for express check out? I made my own buttons, and would like to keep them, since they look good with the site, can I do this?
Thank you,
K

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you should delete your existing checkout pages, then re run the checkout wizard.

You will not need to change the add to cart buttons.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...