close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

auto fill fields

Thread began 7/04/2010 4:27 am by i.edwards384429 | Last modified 7/05/2010 2:20 am by i.edwards384429 | 1456 views | 3 replies |

i.edwards384429

auto fill fields

Hi

trust you all had a good amd sober holiday :-)

Ok, I'm missing something simple but...

In the attached two files , registration and user profile I've added four choice fields ( yes I sometime surprise myself)

And to my even greater surprise from the registration page they populate the database!!!..

But when I load up the user profile the fields, age, sex, ethnicity and area do not load up the values from the database but default to the first entry in the choice list.

All the other fields (that you created ) do retain the values. So where have I missed som e code?

thanks

Ian

Attached Files
files.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

tom250037Beta Tester

Ian,
I am more of a hand coder, so I dont know how to accomplish what you want using the wizards, but look in code view on users_Profile.php at one of the select menus that is working correctly (country)

This part:
<?php if (!(strcmp("US", (isset($_GET['valid'])?ValidatedField("usersProfile","UserCountry"):$row_WAATKusers['UserCountry'])))) {echo "selected=\"selected\"";} ?>

tells if that entry should be selected by default. In plain english, it says if there is 'valid' in the querystring (ie if this form has been submitted), then compare the value to the validated entry ValidatedField("usersProfile","UserCountry") , otherwise, compare the value to the database entry $row_WAATKusers['UserCountry']

If you look at the age meun, all you see is :
<?php if (!(strcmp("0-10", (ValidatedField("usersRegistration","Userage"))))) {echo "selected=\"selected\"";} ?>

which only compares the value to the validated entry (or if not validated, the first one in the list).
That needs to be changed to something like this:
<?php if (!(strcmp("0-10", (isset($_GET['valid'])?ValidatedField("usersProfile","Userage"):$row_WAATKusers['Userage'])))) {echo "selected=\"selected\"";} ?>

This needs to be done for each option tag in the 3 select menus you added (age, sex and ethnicity).

Does that make sense at all?

I apologize if I made this more complicated than it really is, but I think and work more in code view, than in design view with the wizards :-)

Tom

i.edwards384429

update

Hi

thanks for that I'll take a look. I use the wizards as my php knowledge was at zero , ok it's now at 10 but I I have long way to go

cheers

Ian

i.edwards384429

update

Hi

thanks for that really appreciate it. Starting to understand strings etc.

As you will gather this is an ongoing project that comes under the heading of oopps think I might of bitten off more than I can chew- at least the client is patient

thanks again

Ian

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...