close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

unusable with non-ASCII characters.

Thread began 6/30/2010 7:12 am by this_is_me | Last modified 7/01/2010 12:25 am by this_is_me | 1460 views | 3 replies |

this_is_me

unusable with non-ASCII characters.

This is reproduceable on a Apache2 server with

* PHP Version 5.2.6
* MySql Server Version: 5.0.67

I don't know how often we, the clients, have urged WA to check for inconsistencies in their UTF-8 product - implementations. Because if this is not done correctly, all non US-ASCII characters are diplayed incorrectly or replaced by � characters, estimada Se�ora.
óíáñéúü¿ show up as ��������. Very funny.
Quel Hors d’�uvre. How come, wikipedia, vBulletin and countless others can display this correctly as Hors d’œuvre and Site Sculptor, PowerGallery ... can't?

All pages in Sitesculptor have correct UTF-8 settings:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

But in the moment we need content management, a key feature of Site Sculptor, chaos reigns. No idea how this could pass any quality control at web assist after so many months of claiming?

Database creation in Site Sculptor uses latin-1 collition! How can this work when each page is UTF-8 encoded?

It does not. It is the same with PowerGallery and maybe many other WA products which need foreign characters to be stored and retrieved in a mysql database.

Mysql and php even handles Chinese kanji character sets correctly if setup with UTF-8.
Kanji.

Sorry for putting all my frustration about this but its been simply too long that this was known and nothing was changed.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

Currently support for the UTF characters and other high level ASCII characters is not available by default. To store this information in your db you will need to make updates to the encoding that is used for the db and table.

this_is_me

How is that done?

As you can see, the UTF-8 characters are correctly saved in the database. Why is the display incorrect on the public page as well as on the cms page?

this_is_me

for all those who have to deal with the same issue

Writing this is almost like posting in an open source forum with the difference that we all paid for this extension ...
Anyway.

After some tries I found a solution which works with UTF-8 as far as I checked it.
In the subdirectory /Connections there is the file "PowerCMSConnection.php" which contains the following code:

<?php
# FileName="Connection_php_mysql.htm"
# Type="MYSQL"
# HTTP="true"
$hostname_PowerCMSConnection = "myhost";
$database_PowerCMSConnection = "mydatabase";
$username_PowerCMSConnection = "myuser";
$password_PowerCMSConnection = "mypassword";
$PowerCMSConnection = mysql_pconnect($hostname_PowerCMSConnection, $username_PowerCMSConnection, $password_PowerCMSConnection) or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR);
// make sure UTF-8 is connected correctly
$result0 = mysql_query('SET NAMES utf8');
if (!$result0) {
die('invalid request: ' . mysql_error());
}
?>

It seems that "SET NAMES utf8" does the trick. What else needs to be done is changing all the wrong latin-1 collition settings in the database tables starting with "pcms2_" and wa_settings. Please tell me if I missed something.

Guys, could you fix this in an update?

PS.: Web-assist developers:
can you check your files in the /install/scripts/ folder?
db.sql file contains the latin1 settings

I hope this extension does not go up in price as it truly supports UTF-8 now ;-) since Eric wrote "Currently support for the UTF characters and other high level ASCII characters is not available by default."

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...