PS3 - maunal cc processing
I have a client (merchant) who likes PS3, but whose products require extensive assembly after an order is placed. I am not sure how the law reads other than I know that timely shipment (1-2 business days) is expected by the banks and customers. In this merchants situation, he must obtain the credit card number at the time of sale, but not submit the card number for processing right away. Instead, he must wait until the product is assembled, manually process the order (charge the cc) via a virtual terminal, and then ship the product. Assembly can take from a week to 10 days.
Here is the likely scenario:
1. Customer places product(s) in the shopping cart and proceeds to checkout. Since the customer must provide their cc number, a secure server is still needed, but no payment gateway. From the customers perspective the transaction looks just like any normal online purchase, except their cc is not processed right away.
2. The merchant and customer must both receive notification that an order has been placed and received, explaining the details and particulars of this type of order.
Will this work?:
1. No payment gateway is needed. I just need to capture the customer information, including their cc number, and store the information in a new field for cc numbers in the orders table in the database? The question becomes is it secure? And if not, how to make it secure? Does the entire PS3 database need to be move to a secure server?
2. What kind of notification is triggered by PS3 when an order is placed now. Emails? The features list says that as part of "Total checkout control", an "Order email sent". Is this email sent to the customer or merchant, or both? If not, how to use Universal Email to trigger the appropriate emails?
3. What is the best way for the merchant to retrieve the cc number from the database? Login to the store admin area, and retrieve the cc number from the "Find Order/Order Search" page (after a field for the cc number has been added to the page)?