close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

ecart sessions start and end

Thread began 6/28/2010 11:00 am by mustang_sally_85344510 | Last modified 7/01/2010 8:53 am by mustang_sally_85344510 | 2738 views | 9 replies |

mustang_sally_85344510

ecart sessions start and end

Is is possible to have a session end or clear cart if exists and then start a new ecart session on the same page? And would this interfer with other sessions?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

Yes, doing something like this would interfere with the other sessions. I'm not sure why you would want to have multiple sessions with different cart contents on the same page however. Could you explain the purpose of having multiple carts with different items?

mustang_sally_85344510

The reason...
There are multiple sellers in one site.

I was unsuccessful at using the parelle payment gateway via paypal.

So, I'm trying to come up with a solution where a user can only add to the cart the items from distinct seller at a time and then checkout. Each seller payment processed individually.

What I thought would work is that the cart session would end when a user goes to the other seller pages and then could start a new session based on that seller.

Each seller has their own products page (which opens in a new window) there a user can add to cart from that page and go through checkout.

But I have to factor in if a user doesn't checkout, and goes to another sellers page...the cart allows for all "add to cart" items, so I end up with a mix of sellers in the cart. :(

I need to be able to clear the cart if a user goes to a different sellers product page.

Jimmy Wu

You can accomplish this by having multiple eCart objects. One eCart object for each of the sellers. They would have separate carts and checkouts, so you can separate the different sellers that way. Switching between the different sellers will also switch between the separate carts.

mustang_sally_85344510

How can that be done dynamically, as, I have no idea how many or who the sellers are, this is something they sign up for at the site.

Would it plausible to have start a new session or a RESET session, on the sellers product page? when the product page initially loads, and users could add to cart from that point forward?

Jimmy Wu

I'm not sure how this would be done dynamically. You would maybe be able to check if there are any items from other vendors in the cart and clear it if you're going to a different vendor, but then going back to the previous vendor would cause the cart to have been cleared, which is not ideal.

If you decide to go that route, you would have to figure out how to write the code to do it yourself, since it would require quite a bit of custom coding and so it is not supported. To clear the cart, you can look at the code on the cart page that clears the cart.

mustang_sally_85344510

I see in the bindings panel....
my cart isn't listed in the Sessions area....

There is a sessionID
under the Cart heading (when expanded)
but not listed in the "Sessions" area of my bindings panel....

So, does the cart automatically bind itself to my Session VisitorID ?

I'm wondering if my session for the cart is properly set...

when i echo Session VisitorID onto the page I get a completely different number than when I echo Cart SessionID....

When I go to add "Clear cart" to the page....
Do I need to remove:
<?php
$Cart->GetContent();
?>

Also can I clear the cart without using a button?

mustang_sally_85344510

[QUOTE=Jimmy Wu;65359] You would maybe be able to check if there are any items from other vendors in the cart and clear it if you're going to a different vendor, but then going back to the previous vendor would cause the cart to have been cleared, which is not ideal.

This is my IDEAL at this point and time.

Do you offer support for THIS...:)

CraigRBeta Tester

This sounds pretty complex.

Am I right in thinking that this approach would mean a potential customer could only buy from a single supplier in any one visit ?

Would it not be possible to have a single cart, with a field in the database containing supplierID for the relevant items.

After browsing and purchasing through a number of different shops, the single cart would have a grand total, which could be subdivided by supplier.

I haven't given much thought about how the subdivision could be presented, but in principle, it seems feasible.
You say that you were unsuccessful using the parallel payment gateway - why is this ?.
I haven't used this before, but it seems like the most logical approach

It may be a non-starter, but seems a lot less work.

mustang_sally_85344510

I set up everything Great for the multi seller one checkout process.
Then found out that parelle payments has additional fee's and needs preapproval, and is also limited up to 9 payments on one transaction.

So, what happens when there are 10 or more sellers on one purchase?

So, now I am back to individual payments...:(
Because with those, there is no explanation required to the buyers, except that they are required to checkout individually for each seller.

Chained payments are about the same as parelle. :(

I'm disappointed with ecart, how it attaches itself my visitorID session and has made this harder to do........emptying the cart, and where to empty it.
I see others have complained about this also. It's ridiculious that we have to destroy a users login in session, and try to regenerate it ....
instead of just be able to destroying the cart session.

It would be nice to WA make this modification to the ecart extention.....:)

Thank you for your ideas you are always such a great help here!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...