close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Payment Gateways, Sandboxes and SSL's

Thread began 6/25/2010 6:56 am by CraigR | Last modified 6/28/2010 2:36 pm by Dave Buchholz | 1410 views | 8 replies |

CraigRBeta Tester

Payment Gateways, Sandboxes and SSL's

I have created a few ecommerce sites, but only for small startup business, so each has used Paypal website payments standard (UK) as the gateway.

Using this, I have managed IPN to deal with inventory control etc.

Looking to the future, I want to gain experience with other payment gateways, but as I will only be testing, do not want to pay them for the privilege, or at least an insignificant sum).

Of the (other) payment gateways supported by ecart, do any have a sandbox for testing purposes, and do i need to pay?

Secondly, SSL's, what what criteria should i use to determine what i need ?
I assume I need a certificate (eg from Verisign) and some SSL hosting space from my hosting provider.

Are there any good info resources ??

Thanks in advance

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

All of the payment gateways offer testing servers. They will all require you to pay for the service to be able to use the testing environment.

If the user will enter personal information on your site, then you should using an SSL certificate.

You will need to purchase the certificate from Verisign , or another reseller and have your host install the certificate fro your domain.

CraigRBeta Tester

Thanks Jason.

WRT Paypal Payments Standard, the process is easy, as the card transaction occurs on the paypal site, so no SSL or certificate required.

For Paypal Payments Pro, what is the procedure?

Is SSL required/recommended for this ?

From memory, whilst testing using the ecart wizard, the checkout page is created with fields for cc details, can i assume that this and subsequent pages need to be moved to a secure area ?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, for paypal payments pro, you should use an ssl certificate.

eCart breaks the gateways into 2 categories:
1) Remote Checkout
2) Local Checkout

Remote checkout means the info is entered on the gateways site.

Local checkout means the info is entered locally, on your site.

any time you are using a local checkout, it is recommended to use ssl.

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

Craig,

I have a couple of sites running PayPal Pro with another two in progress and you will need SSL for integration as the card details are taken on the site and then posted to paypal.

You also need to look at integrating the 3D Secure if you want to take Maestro Payments index.htm

If you have any UK specific questions feel free ask away.

CraigRBeta Tester

Thanks Dave.

I created a site in asp 2-3 years ago, (Paypal Standard) and am planning to convert it to php when i get the time.

I will probably use this as my first Payments Pro site.

Probably a month away, but i'll be grateful if we can talk through things.

I may also (finally) get around to having a go at coding ecart for google if I can !

(Do you know if Paypal Pro has a UK sandbox yet ?, I remember it didn't when i looked at this a while ago)

Regards

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

No worries, we can talk whenever.

I always use a live account to do testing (I have a pro account) the sandbox is a barrel of hurt

CraigRBeta Tester

I noticed my hosting provider, streamline, (mixed reports I hear, but I haven't had any issues), offer SSL on their Linux servers @£25 a year, which seems pretty cheap. Their linux ssl servers run php 4.2 . which isn't the latest version, (is it likely to cause any issues ?).

I presume, not knowing much about this, that as the SSL space is on a shared server, I am essentially paying for a small amount of space and a shared certificate. ie i don't need a separate certificate from verisign or whatever ?

Alternatively, as the site I propose to build can go anywhere, can anyone suggest anther hosting provider ?

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

Craig I use Clustered.Net for all my hosting and I cannot speak highly enough of them, they are not the cheapest (you get what you pay for with hosting in my experience) but their tech support is fantastic and nothing is to much trouble for them. In fact I am in the middle of upgrading my server right now !

My view is that you cannot take a chance with ecommerce and I want a host I KNOW I can rely on.

I also provide individual SSL Certs for each site, again it is a relatively small outlay for peace of mind.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...