close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

MAMP problem

Thread began 6/22/2010 11:24 am by helenbfraser407828 | Last modified 6/24/2010 9:28 am by Eric Mittman | 5324 views | 10 replies |

helenbfraser407828

MAMP problem

Hello I am just getting started with SiteAssist and Dreamweaver CS5 on Snow Leopard - trying to set up the localhost testing server so I can design my site offline.

I am not very knowledgeable and rely a lot on following very explicit instructions. I have previously downloaded and used the MAMP successfully but I cant get it to work now.

I think one issue may be that the instructions relate to DW CS4 and the screens are different in CS5. I dont know enough to relate the fields in the two forms confidently and fear I may have somehow stuffed up my MAMP PHP/MySQL settings. Anyway I am getting two kinds of error message.

One is
'An unknown error occurred while discovering dynamically related files' in DW
and
'Safari can’t connect to the server.
Safari can’t open the page “index.php” because Safari can’t connect to the server “localhost”.' in the browser.

The other is shown by the attached image.

I greatly hope someone can help me as I have been breaking my brains over this for quite a few days and feeling very dumb. Maybe even with site assist making my own website is just too hard for me but I would really like to be able to do it. I am really hoping that these error messages are just a small hurdle and once sorted up will be off and running.

Thanks heaps in advance and sorry if this is a question I should know the answer to!
Helen

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

As for the DW error you are getting you should try deleting your cache file to see if this resolves the problem for you. Here are instructions for deleting this file:

common_installation_issues.pdf

For the other issues you are getting it seems that your webserver is not properly configured to be running with the localhost address. If you installed with MAMP you should refer to the documentation for getting the server up and running.

helenbfraser407828

Thanks.

It is asking me to verify that the URL prefix maps to the root of the site.

I think the problem is I have installed the files in the wrong place. My whole site is in the htdocs folder - is that right? I thought I needed a 'local' site separate from the testing server which would be in the htdocs folder?

I think what would really help a lot is instructions that relate to DW CS5. Then I could verify all the information has gone into the right places.

Thanks again - any help gratefully received.

Helen

Eric Mittman

I don't use Mamp but normally with Apache there is a root directory called htodcs. If your mamp is configured to work with this as the root web folder then you should be able to add in a folder in here then set it up in DW to use this as the local site folder. Here are some links to docs that we have on setting up the testing server and the site in DW:

Defining a site in DW:
dynamic_site_definitions.php

Installing a testing server with MAMP
mamp_for_mac.php

Take a look at these to see if there is any more helpful information for your current setup. Based on the error you are getting it seems that there might be a problem with the site as it is setup in DW. It might be worth creating a whole new DW site to see if the problem is associated with that one site.

helenbfraser407828

HURRAY!!! I am in.
I was just about to write that I have created 3 whole new DW sites and have looked at all that documentation and was going through it all again to point out particular areas of uncertainty when I noticed the PORT NUMBERS were different. I had been very reluctant to fiddle with things like that as I had had MAMP all running before and it was giving me its 'all well' message but I gave it a shot and hey presto everything works.
Thanks very much indeed.
Helen
PS Though it seems my problem was in fact stated in the available help I cant help pointing out that the instructions are very confusing! It would be a lot better if it was all in one step by step document ... but what the heck I am glad I am in at last.

helenbfraser407828

Nah - now that I move from the demo site to my own site I am getting the same problem back again, even though now the ports are set correctly.
This seems like a very powerful and wonderful set of tools but it really needs better documentation - or to say more clearly in its advertising what background knowledge is required.
Tired and disappointed
Helen

neilo

MAMP site CS5

Just to confirm (typical?) 'Local info' & 'Testing server' settings fot MAMP in Site Definition (in Dreamweaver - Menu > Sites > 'New Site' or 'Manage Sites')

If your new site's files and folders are in a folder called 'mynewsitefolder', and that thatfolder is in your Applications/MAMP/htdocs/ directory, site definitions would be:

In CS3 - CS4:

Local Info:

Site name: Your Site Name
Local Root Folder: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mynewsitefolder/

[b/Testing Server:[/b]

Server Model: PHP MySQL
Access: Local/Network
Testing Server folder: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mynewsitefolder/
URL Prefix: mynewsitefolder/

In CS5:

Site:

Site name: Your Site Name
Local Site Folder: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mynewsitefolder/

Servers:

Click [+] button to add (or pencil icon to edit) a testing or remote server:

Basic 'Tab':

Server Name: MAMP_YourSIteName
Connect using: Local/Network
Server folder: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mynewsitefolder/
Web URL: mynewsitefolder/

Advanced 'Tab':

[Testing Server] Server Model: PHP MySQL

Back in 'Servers' window, tick box under 'Testing'.

Similarly add remote server with appropriate remote settings, tick box under 'Remote'.

helenbfraser407828

Thanks Neilo
That is more or less where I had got to. With a lot of sleuthing I have now also figured out how to organise the testing server with MAMP and touch wood it seems to be working reliably both for your site designs and for my own site design.
My next question is this - how can I modify the site structure and design after creation? I know I can specify all the pages in that little interface, and I know I can change the content with the CMS but my understanding was I would be able to add and delete pages and the menu's would update but I dont see how to do this. I tried just deleting a page and the menu did not seem to update. Is there something else I have to do? Also I understood I would be able to change the overall layout and design after the site was created. For example I would like to try it with the vertical menu instead of horizontal and generally play around with the look and feel of my site. Surely I dont have to specify absolutely everything in advance?
Thanks again
Helen

Eric Mittman

Site Sculptor will create the site for you based on the selections in the wizard, once it is complete though you will only be able to edit the content on the site. The CMS that is produced does not have the option to create new pages or alter the navigation. You should instead create some presets for the various parts like the site type and design. You can then just generate a site based on the presets whenever you need it.

helenbfraser407828

I think I would then still have to go through and add all the content though wouldnt I? I thought I had seen that the menus could be updated from the structure but maybe that was one of the other extensions.

I am coming to the conclusion site sculptor is not the tool for me. I need to have ongoing flexible control over both the content and the structure of my site.

Probably I am best just to muddle through with dreamweaver. Now that I have invested in the webassist extensions maybe using some of those individually will help me develop my site.

I have a relatively simple information site not a huge catalogue which seems to be where sitesculptor really comes into its own? And I am really keen to manage it myself if at all possible - not to save money but to give me rapid hands on control.

Any advice gratefully received
Helen

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...