close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Using CSS Menu Writer With Site Sculptor

Thread began 6/15/2010 11:56 am by larry268887 | Last modified 6/17/2010 1:48 pm by larry268887 | 1965 views | 5 replies |

larry268887

Using CSS Menu Writer With Site Sculptor

When you create a site sculptor site using one of the presets for site sculptor two menu.php files are created.
One menu.php file for the home page and one menu.php file for the content pages.

In both menu.php files $WA_localRoot = "" . $WAGLOBAL_pcms_remote_root . ""; and $WA_remoteRoot = "" . $WAGLOBAL_pcms_remote_root . "";.
This assigns both of the variables to pcms_remote_root which is found in the wa_settings table of your database. And as long you install CMS on the testing server and also install CMS on the remote server everything will work just fine.

Here is were the problem comes if you modify the menu using CSS menu writer. Menu writer will edit the two menu.php files and in both files
$WA_localRoot = "Parti Yorkies"; (as an example)
$WA_remoteRoot = "/"; (If the site definition is set up incorrectly)

Once this happens all your links will have an extra Parti Yorkies folder in the URL.

Until Webassist corrects the BUG a workaround would be to replace

$WA_localRoot = "Parti Yorkies";
$WA_remoteRoot = "/";

in the two menu.php files with

$WA_localRoot = "" . $WAGLOBAL_pcms_remote_root . "";
$WA_remoteRoot = "" . $WAGLOBAL_pcms_remote_root . "";

With this fix your testing server menu and your remote site menu will work correctly.

Another workaround would be to replace

$WA_localRoot = "Parti Yorkies";

in the two menu.php files with

$WA_localRoot = "/";

If you go this route only the menu on the remote server will work properly.
The menu will not work properly on the testing server.

So I would recommend the first fix.

It been six days and webassist haven't even acknowledged that there is a problem so no telling how long it will take to correct the problem.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

As you have noted the editing of a Site Sculptor site with CSS Menu Writer will cause the menu files to be overwritten. This is one reason we do not suggest using menu writer to update the menu on the completed site. Rather than update the existing menu you should be generating a new Site Design for Site Sculptor based on the menu you would like to include.

You can then quickly and easily create a new site based on the new design. What Site Sculptor generates should be a site with the pages, templates, and menus existing for you. You can then customize the site or update the contents via the content management.

larry268887

I understand but here is the problem. Lets say you have a dynamic site and many of the pages have a portion of the content is dynamic. I don't think many people would want this portion to be editable by a customer. Every time one needs to change the menu then that means that all the pages that contain content that is CMS and database driven would have to be manually edited. This could be very time consuming.

Am I correct in what I'm saying or is there something I'm not aware of?
To me it would be essential that CSS menu writer is compatible with Site Sculptor.

larry268887

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  As you have noted the editing of a Site Sculptor site with CSS Menu Writer will cause the menu files to be overwritten. This is one reason we do not suggest using menu writer to update the menu on the completed site.  

When you look at your literature in the features section on Site sculptor it says "# Compatible with CSS Menu Writer

* Import a custom menu created with CSS Menu Writer
* Customize your menu further with CSS Menu Writer 2"

showthread.php?p=61819&posted=1#post61819

Originally Said By: Neil Beadle
  Sure can! There is a simple menu.php file that contains the unordered list that you can add any additional links to. For some more functionality when modifying the menu, you can use CSS Menu Writer.  

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

menu Writer wasn't created to be aware of the Global Settings that are Created by site Sculptor if you select the option to use CMS, so yes it will overwrite the Local Root and Remote Root settings.

I will have this logged as a bug, it will need to be fixed in menu writer.

Really though, as long as the Site Settings for HTTP Address on the Local Info tab and URL Prefix on the testing server tab are configured properly, the change made by menu writer should not have any effect.

In your site definition, how have you set the HTTP Address on the Local Info tab?

What is the URL Prefix on the testing server tab?

In the database created by site sculptor, what is the value for the PCMS Remote Root record?

larry268887

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  menu Writer wasn't created to be aware of the Global Settings that are Created by site Sculptor if you select the option to use CMS, so yes it will overwrite the Local Root and Remote Root settings.

I will have this logged as a bug, it will need to be fixed in menu writer.

Really though, as long as the Site Settings for HTTP Address on the Local Info tab and URL Prefix on the testing server tab are configured properly, the change made by menu writer should not have any effect.

In your site definition, how have you set the HTTP Address on the Local Info tab?

What is the URL Prefix on the testing server tab?

In the database created by site sculptor, what is the value for the PCMS Remote Root record?  

The HTTP address is www.elvis-parti-yorkies.com/
The URL Prefix is Parti Yorkies/
PCMS remote Root = /

I agree with you that is why I think there is a bug in the way siteassiste css menu writer.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...