close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Use Recordset and Data on bars update

Thread began 3/11/2009 2:46 am by web_assist_mail157665 | Last modified 10/01/2009 7:30 am by Ray Borduin | 7243 views | 9 replies |

web_assist_mail157665

Use Recordset and Data on bars update

Couple of things

1)
When are we likely to see a version of Web Charts that can use a recordset in the setup wizard for values , rather than the current predefined (and limiting) wizard options?

2)
Client refused to sanction use of WA charts as they do not have the ability to show data values on the graph - his reasons were 2 fold...
1 - you can't show a group of people a page of graphs and have them all trying to mouse over different graphs on page to see what exact values they represent.
2 - you can't put these graphs into any sort of report as values can only be visually estimated

A major omissions and show stoppers for WA Chart usage. Any news on a fix for this?

tia

Paul

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

1) We will not likely add this to the wizard any time soon. You are able to fully update the recordset results and create your own custom recordset after the wizard runs. Just open the data page with dreamweaver and edit the recordset with dreamweaver.

2)
1- We use a component called "open flash charts" it is open source and anyone who knows flash and actionscript should be able to add that feature. We don't plan on updating or working on the chart features in future versions. Our approch will likely be to target and implement new charting solutions in future versions. It is possible that we will target a charting solution that offers this feature.

2- If you copy and paste the recordset from the data page of the chart onto your page that displays the chart, you can add a report by using that recordset and standard Dreamweaver repeat regions. I have done this quite a few times and it works well. Just because the wizard doesn't do it for you doesn't mean that it can't be done.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

web_assist_mail157665

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  2)
1- We use a component called "open flash charts" it is open source and anyone who knows flash and actionscript should be able to add that feature. We don't plan on updating or working on the chart features in future versions. Our approch will likely be to target and implement new charting solutions in future versions. It is possible that we will target a charting solution that offers this feature.  

Purchased extension so I wouldn't have to mess with code,
so this new graph solution would be appreciated

2- If you copy and paste the recordset from the data page of the chart onto your page that displays the chart, you can add a report by using that recordset and standard Dreamweaver repeat regions. I have done this quite a few times and it works well. Just because the wizard doesn't do it for you doesn't mean that it can't be done.  

Agreed..but... we all can delve into the code and create bespoke solutions. I want extensions that write the code in one hit. Sadly this is the second WA chart product I've purchased that again falls short in terms of supplying results without user intervention and manual code tinkering.

atb

Paul

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I appreciate the feedback. I think we could probably make a sister or brother product to DWC to for HTML Database Reporting.

Then the HTML Data Reports could be used with any of the graphing solutions we end up implementing. It makes a lot of sense, so thank you again for the feedback. Your suggestions may inspire that product or addition to our product line in the future.

ellis.robert.j337464

Which version of open-flash is being used, 1.x or 2.x?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It currently uses 1.x. 2.x was released after DWC was already implemented.

Since it uses an entirely different architecture we are evaluating whether to add 2.x support in the next version or target an entirely new charting engine to implement instead.

web_assist_mail157665

It currently uses 1.x. 2.x was released after DWC was already implemented.

Since it uses an entirely different architecture we are evaluating whether to add 2.x support in the next version or target an entirely new charting engine to implement instead.  

Any update on this?.

Still looking for a suitable - one click - option to use use own recordset - with numbers on graphs - solution

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Because of the relatively low adoption of dynamic web charts we haven't been able to invest any more immediately into the project. We have to wait to recoup more of our initial development expense before we can affort to invest more into new features.

Sorry for the bad news... but the short story is that an update is not currently on our roadmap because of lack of product performance. Hopefully we will be able to address this at some point in the future.

We have started including the charts in our solutions, so perhaps that will bolster demand for charting by our customers, but currently it appears to be a very small audience.

mick106153

I think the audience is small because all we want is access to the data in the form of usable reports.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I appreciate the feedback. We put a lot of time, effort, and money into creating the extension with the features that it has. We hope to have the opportunity to add more features in the future, but we can't ignore the return on investment from the past.

I find it a very helpful product, we use it in our Powerstore and user registration solutions and use it extensively in our own administrative section for reports on users, sales, and support volume. Some users have also been very happy and successful with the results they are able to achieve.

I think part of the problem is that charting comes very far down the line and up the learning curve. You need to have a funcitonal web site with data to report on and a pretty firm grasp of how your data is stored in order to conceptualize the chart that you want. It takes a while before a business is ready to consider the slope of their sales and not just the bottom line.

We will continue to work on bolstering our audience and thier abilities so that charting will become a more important component and hopefully that will help make the business case for a substantial investment into improvements.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...