close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

New DataAssist takes 15 minutes to install!

Thread began 5/28/2009 5:52 pm by Peterson Design Studio - jefferis | Last modified 6/11/2009 1:34 pm by Travis250923 | 4290 views | 10 replies |

Peterson Design Studio - jefferis

New DataAssist takes 15 minutes to install!

Today's release of DataAssist 2.0.5 on Mac Intel 10.5.7 took 15 minutes to install...

Sign in to reply to this post

I-CRE8Beta Tester

not that's its any consolation but mine was almost instantaneous and along with the new site import version installed tis morning

Originally Said By: I-CRE8
  not that's its any consolation but mine was almost instantaneous and along with the new site import version installed tis morning  

Hi Dave, I see by your byline, you now have an official relationship with WA? :-) Congrats. The new Site import installed quickly for me, but somehow the delay on DA was so long I thought the program had stalled and force quit EM after 20 minutes first go round. Then I rebooted and tried again, and just let it run. I was just about to quit it again after 15 minutes when it finally came to the second screen asking if I wanted to replace exisiting components. I said yes to all, and it finished quickly. I haven't actually tried using it yet! That will be later today.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Make sure to completely uninstall the version you have installed before installing the new one. You will see it is actually uninstalling the previous version that takes so much time. Installation is always quick for just about every extension. The extension manager is horribly slow when uninstalling.

Personally, I often will rename my configuration folder to reinstall every extension I have rather than use extension manager to uninstall one. For me it is quicker since I store all my extension files in one place and can quickly install them.

Uninstall can take 15 minutes for me too with extensions that include a lot of files. I have noticed clearing my trash will make it much faster, and the experience on mac is pretty fast in general.

But on my windows xp machine I can install probably 30 extensions in the time it takes to uninstall one if I just rename the configuration folder. Of course I lose any custom themes and layouts I had stored, so there is the pain of having to re-serialize and re-import any defined layouts which may make using the extension manager more worthwhile for some.

I don't think there is anything WebAssist can do about it though. It appears to be a general problem with extension manager uninstalling extensions with large numbers of files. We could only solve the problem by breaking up our extensions into more extensions or by simplifying the extensions themselves, and neither of these seem very logical in response to this issue.

I guess we could create our own installer and uninstaller to address the problem as well... with the winfilecache issue of late that sounds more and more promising, but for now we are sticking with the extension manager and hoping adobe will address the efficiency problems in a future update.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

I agree it isn't your problem. EM has been a beast for years. However, I have too many extensions (PVII and yours and ADDT) to reinstall the whole lot. It takes me 1/2 a day. I tried uninstall after the first failure, but EM would not respond at all, or if it was, I could not tell it was trying to uninstall... So I just reinstalled...

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you don't completely uninstall it can cause the winfilecache problem, so I'd recommend always uninstalling.

It is true that it can appear to hang during this process. No more or less than it appears to hang in the reinstall process however, so I would still always recommend uninstalling completely. Do it before lunch and walk away so it won't bother you how long it takes or how it appears to have stopped responding.

Nigel

New DataAssist 2.0.5 Crashing DW CS4

I installed the updated DA today. I opened a page with DA server behaviors but when I double clicked to open a server behavior (Manage Relational Tables) in the SB panel, I got the crash dialog "DW CS4 has encountered an error..." or such. I tried again and this time used Insert > DA Wizard and got a JavaScript error, no crash.

"While executing onLoad in WA_AppBuilder.htm, the following JavaScript error(s) occurred:
In file WA_AppBuilder: Initialize UI is not defined.

Has anyone else had problems?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Try deleting your winfilecache

Nigel

Problem solved. Thanks Ray.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That is the problem when you don't completely uninstall before installing a new version with extension manager.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...