close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Content Management Templates and Navigation

Thread began 6/04/2010 2:22 pm by paligula379777 | Last modified 6/06/2010 9:18 pm by paligula379777 | 2598 views | 4 replies |

paligula379777

Content Management Templates and Navigation

Hi

I recreated my site - this time selecting pages to be content management templates.

Question 1.

When I click on the green plus to create a page that new page is created as a sub page underneath the link that has the green plus sign.

Should the newly created page be a part of the menu structure?

Thus:

News and Events (Main Menu)

Event 1

Sub Event B (Sub Page created by clicking the green plus)

Event 2

Event 3

So if I understand this correctly the add page functionality is only to add pages that you link to from other pages but cannot be a part of the menu structure?

Question 2:

Using the same tree example above - any way to add an Event 4 using the CMS?

or can you only add sub pages?

No way to re-order them? Make "Event B" a new "Event 4" directly under the main menu heading News and Events (Main Menu)?

Question 3:

I see that you can delete sub pages you add but not the main pages in the site menu structure. Will that ever be changed?

Thanks in advance !

Sign in to reply to this post

Neil Beadle

I moved your post since it was a new set of questions and this better exposes the answer for others.

When I click on the green plus to create a page that new page is created as a sub page underneath the link that has the green plus sign.  

Yes, that is how Site Sculptor's/PowerCMS 2's template feature works. You are creating a subpage of the page that you defined as a content management template.

Should the newly created page be a part of the menu structure?  

No. In this version of Site Sculptor the navigation is not dynamically updated based on any template pages. This might be added in a future version.

Using the same tree example above - any way to add an Event 4 using the CMS?
or can you only add sub pages?  

In Site Sculptor you could set the Home page as a content management template, and create pages based off of that.

I see that you can delete sub pages you add but not the main pages in the site menu structure. Will that ever be changed?  

This feature is available in PowerCMS 2 but not in Site Sculptor. One of the reasons for this is that Site Sculptor's CMS is more end-user focused, and providing Add/Delete functionality like this would require a user to have a greater understanding of editing code. Especially since any deleted page would still be linked to in the navigation, and the file itself would still exist.

You can purchase a license of PowerCMS 2 and upgrade Site Sculptor's CMS if you want this functionality.

paligula379777

Hi Thanks for the quick reply.

So to get the added functionality I would need to upgrade to PowerCMS 2 for each client site where it would be used? Whereas Site Scluptor can be used on multiple domains? If I understand the licensing correct?

CanI manually add a new page to the menu structure?

Anyway - I did find what I think is a bug when adding pages and then viewing them:

If you select News and Events on the left side as highlighted and then select "view this page" under where it says "choose the content area you wish to edit below"

see attachment = newsandevents.jpg

It pulls up the page for "Test8"

see attachment = newsandevents-2.jpg

Thanks

Very cool extension!

Neil Beadle

So to get the added functionality I would need to upgrade to PowerCMS 2 for each client site where it would be used? Whereas Site Scluptor can be used on multiple domains? If I understand the licensing correct?

Can I manually add a new page to the menu structure?  

Sure can! There is a simple menu.php file that contains the unordered list that you can add any additional links to. For some more functionality when modifying the menu, you can use CSS Menu Writer.

Anyway - I did find what I think is a bug when adding pages and then viewing them:

If you select News and Events on the left side as highlighted and then select "view this page" under where it says "choose the content area you wish to edit below"  

Actually this is as designed, but i can understand your confusion. Let me try and explain the logic behind the templating feature of the CMS a little more...

The Template page (the page you specified in SS as a content management template) is not intended to be the public page of your site as much as just a template page to define where content goes for the pages based on that template.

For example, if you had a news website, you could have a template named "articles". The template defines the layout of all the article pages that a user would add to their site from within the CMS. This also defines the URL for the news section of your site (articles.php).

Here's where the template feature can be a little confusing, and where you are a little confused....

If you haven't yet created a new page based off the articles template, you can navigate to that URL and you will see the content of articles.php. Once you have added a page based off that template things change a little. Instead of showing the content page when browsing to articles.php, you are taken straight to the most recent page added (in the case of a news website...the most recent article). One way you could use this is by having a recent articles link on your site, and it will always jump straight to the most recently posted article.

Hope this clarifies things a little further for you.

paligula379777

Hi Neil

Yes that does. Now I understand.

Mucho Thanks!

Kyle

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...