close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Quote Form

Thread began 6/04/2010 1:15 pm by mrobben375515 | Last modified 6/11/2010 2:15 pm by Eric Mittman | 3511 views | 19 replies |

mrobben375515

Quote Form

I would like to create a quote form that would give users a value dynamically based on what values they select. If it's possible, I would like to have several drop down menus for different options and have the value update every time they select an option. So the value starts at 0, they click an option and it gives them the new Quote Value and so on. And then if they like the quote price there will be an option at the bottom to upload a pdf and click submit to send us the order and the options they selected. Is this possible with DataAssist or any of the other plugins?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ian

Hi,

It sounds like you will need the Dynamic Dropdowns extension to get the dropdown menus to work.

From the sounds of it you will also need to utilise Ajax or Javascript to get the quote to update on the screen without using POST. The WA extensions won't do this for you, it will require some manual coding but there are loads of examples on the Internet.

Hope that helps?

Thanks
Ian

mrobben375515

Ok, I'm on the right track. I was trying to follow the instructions in the tutorial but it's for a list...not a menu. So I'm trying to make it where I have several drop downs. Depending on what they choose in the first drop down then I want the next menu to populate and so on...I made the first menu dynamic and then tried to make the second one and it didn't work. There doesn't seem to be many help references. Can you give me some instructions so that they select several different menu items and it calculates a price...even if you have to click submit and go to another page. That would be a great start...Thanks

If you want to see an example of what I've done, you can go to quote.php ...it's pretty bare bones but you can kinda see what I mean...And is there any way to could reference a tutorial for the js or give me a tagline to put into google. I've tried "form update js" and a few other like it but I don't know the correct terminology...

Ian

On the dynamic dropdowns you first need to create an array source by having a recordset that returns everything. You can then add the OnClick code to the primary dropdown list which populates the secondary dropdown with the relevant data from the array. You can then apply the same logic to the second dropdown to populate the third etc etc

Try this for the javascript:

auto-sum-checkboxes.html

Cheers
Ian

mrobben375515

Can you give me some more detailed instructions, some of that was over my head. I have a recordset for the Parent and Child menus like the tutorial had, and I went to WA Dynamic Dropdowns and clicked "Create Dynamic Array" and selected the values but when I uploaded it nothing changed. And I'm not sure how to add the OnClick behavior. Sorry, just a little confused. I've attached the page...Thanks for the help...

Attached Files
quote.zip

Ian

No problem.

Unfortunately I dont have the time to do it for you as I have many projects on the go right now.

In a nutshell....

The extension has two different parts. A server behavior which populates the data in an array when the page loads. It sounds like you have figured this part.

For the second part you need to select the trigger for the array update. This will be the parent drop-down (i.e the one with the parent values that will be passed to the child). This action is client side so you select the dropdown form element and then go to the TAG INSPECTOR window in Dreamweaver, click behaviors and then select the populate list from array option. In here you set the source and target.

However, before continuing I suggest you get to grips with the different between server side and client side actions before you go any further. It's much easier to deal with this (and support your web site in the future) if you know how it works.

Cheers
Ian

mrobben375515

When I go to click populate list from array it's grayed out... I have the server behaviors set up, why is this? It's a dropdown menu, do I still choose populate list?

Eric Mittman

In order to apply the 'populate list from array' behavior you need to ensure that you have the parent select list selected in the form first. With the parent select list selected you should be able to apply the 'populate list from array'.

Dropdown inputs are called select lists.

mrobben375515

I definitely have it selected and it's still gray. I'm guessing I don't have something set up like the tutorial says to...I'm gonna attach it so you can see

Attached Files
quote.zip

kelly1398725

May be template issue

Are you using a template. I know from experience the dynamic dropdown sometimes act up and populate list from array grays out when using a template. It puts the create dynamic array code in the head area instead of above the doctype. So you may manually have to move it temporarily and then can paste it back when finished.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...