close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Form looping

Thread began 6/02/2010 6:01 pm by rich211354 | Last modified 6/07/2010 6:03 pm by Eric Mittman | 3129 views | 11 replies |

rich211354

Form looping

Hello -

I am trying to setup an email send for the first time with a simple file upload and a few fields. My form starts to process, but then fails. I've checked to make sure the folder has write access in case it needs to store the file temporarily.

I've attached the base form and then my WebAssist folder. The base form is located down in a clients folder, but it appears to be setup to reference the Webassist folder off the root.

contact.php

Thanks for any ideas
Rich

Attached Files
contact.zip
webassist.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

it looks like the problem is with the page you are sending the user to after the upload and email occur. The target page seems to have some problems and it will give errors when you try to go to this page by itself:

target.php

It seems that the Upload and email are occurring successfully as it is trying to send you to this target page afterwards. You can check it out by updating the go to page in the Universal Email. You should have it go to a new page that just has a message on it so you will know when you get there. You should then work out any issues with the email and upload after you have it redirecting like this. Post back if you have any more questions or if you encounter any further problems.

rich211354

Thanks

Hi Eric -

Thanks. I made the target file into an html file for kicks to avoid any preprocessing that could get in the way.

Also, I think the real reason is that I need to tell the code to use a specific user to access my outgoing mail server. Would you know where I can change this code? Shall I just create variables in my main form php code for the server name and user credentials? Wonder why this isn't part of the DW extension, or did I miss it?

Thanks
Rich

rich211354

Pear

just checked and my shared hosting does not have PEAR. How can I get this to work?

I'm on Win IIS

Thanks

EDIT - just got this from my host:
we do not have PEAR. However, we do allow PHP Mail and Blat.exe which is windows version of sendmail.

Eric Mittman

If your host allows regular php mail then you do not need to choose the authentication option and PEAR. You can just set it up like normal without authentication. Just make sure that the host and port if needed are specified. Does your host require an additional from parameter when sending with the mail? If so you will need to check the option for this in the mail object settings in UE.

rich211354

Yes, as I said, my host requires me to pass it a valid host name and user account on the mail server. It is plain PHP mail().

Please tell me where I can set these? Where in the code do I set the host?

You mention the mail object settings, but you haven't told me where that is or what to change. I see references to it in some parts of the code, but

Please, I need to get this going today.
This waiting 24 hours is killing me.

Rich

PS - please open a specific case for me so we can work on this today and until it is resolved.

rich211354

Also, how can I get at the return values, if any, on the target page so I can test if the send occurred properly?

Any examples for this?

Eric, the bottom line is there really isn't any documentation for what you are talking about. I get that we can try and tell the functions that call PHP mail to pass server and port number(of course I need to pass sendfrom name as well), but there isn't an ounce of documentation that I can see past the DW extensions. I see 5 files that calls are made to and from linked from my contact for and the includes there in. I've tried adding code to the mail_php.php form but it doesn't work. I am also not confident that this is where you imply me to add these values. Developers need some documentation on how these files relate to one another in order to go changing them.

Thanks

Eric Mittman

My apologies for not being more direct with the instructions. The mail object settings are edited in the Universal Email interface with the envelope icon. In here you can configure what is the SMTP server and other details. This is where you would put in the authentication if it is needed, however this authentication only works for PEAR mail. If you are using regular mail then you should not need to enter any credentials. You mentioned:

"my host requires me to pass it a valid host name and user account on the mail server. It is plain PHP mail()"

This statement is a little confusing to me. From what I understand the standard php mail() does not support authentication. If you mean that you need to set the from parameter then this is configurable within the mail object settings by checking the box. It will use your from address for this, so make sure that you enter your appropriate email address for the from. Let us know if you have any further issues with this.

rich211354

Thanks. I'll try this first thing in the morning.

Yeah, CrystalTech(a top 10 host) does some further testing of the email connections to prevent spoofing attacks of some kind. It must just not process the email if it doesn't come in with a valid sendfrom account.

Rich

Eric Mittman

Sounds good, let us know how it goes for you.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...