close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Insert session value for userID into 2nd table

Thread began 5/28/2009 8:42 am by Kevin373660 | Last modified 6/03/2009 9:13 am by Kevin373660 | 8354 views | 14 replies |

Kevin373660

Insert session value for userID into 2nd table

I need help to understand how, procedure and the php code to Insert the session value for the logged in userID (and userEmail) into a second table field. The second table has additional information that the user will create after hitting the submit button.

I have created MySQL db tables with the InnoDB engine and am using PHP.

Example:
Tbl_parents -userSID, userEmail
Tbl_children -kidSID, userSID, userEmail

In tbl_children, userSID is FK to tbl_parents userSID, and is set to cascade from tbl_parents. I believe that the log in page created with the WebAssist Wizard starts a session for the login user. I am assuming that when setting up eCart (not done yet) a similar code would input the userID into the order table.

In my case, the parent has logged in with their account information, redirected to their profile page which pulls up their information (record) and then goes by link to a second profile page that allows them to set up the children’s accounts in the second table with unique ID’s. I am sure that this seems simple but I am new to the process. Thank you for your assistance with this.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The user information can be stored as a Session variable and you can use that session variable when doing the child inserts associated with that user.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Kevin373660

Yes, I belive that a Session variable for the parent is created at login and that could be used when doing the child inserts associated with that user. I am just not sure how.

There must be a way of qualify the $session variable=userID. I have already setup the insert record to handle it if I can qualify it.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

When you log in the session variable is automatically set. You don't need to add anything you just need to use it.

Kevin373660

Ok. In the member_Registratin.php added a record set and have set up the following code to verify that I can see these mysterious values when the page loads after user logs in. The correct values from table1 show on the Registration page. The insert statment should but it does not insert the data into table2? I realy need help on this, please.

</php
if ((isset($_POST["MM_insert"])) && ($_POST["MM_insert"] == "WAATKRegistrationForm")) {
$insertSQL = sprintf("INSERT INTO tbl_tablename2 (kidName, userSID, userEmail, kidRegDate) VALUES (%s, %s, %s)",
GetSQLValueString($_POST['kidFirstName'], "text"),
GetSQLValueString($_POST['kidName'], "text"),
GetSQLValueString($_POST['userID'], "int"),
GetSQLValueString($_POST['userEmail'], "text"),
'Now()';
?>

<tr>
<th>userSID:</th>
<td><?php echo $row_tablename1['userSD']; ?></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<th>userEmail:</th>
<td><?php echo $row_Parent['userEmail']; ?></td>
</tr>

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It doesn't look like you execute the SQL ever. Do you get an error? Maybe I'm confused.

Kevin373660

Only two sections of the page code are in the last post. Zip attached. I am not sure what you mean by , "execute the SQL?" There are no errors. Once the registration page is submitted the record is created but the values for the userSID and userEmail are not entered into the database. Sorry to ask Ray but I realy need your help. Please and thank you.

Attached Files
member_Registration.zip

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Right before or after the line:

$Result1 = mysql_query($insertSQL, $TugBoatBen) or die(mysql_error());

add the code:
die($insertSQL);

That will help you debug why the insert doesn't work properly.

Kevin373660

Thank you Ray, I have added the die($insertSQL); line as you suggested. It seems to confirm that the insert is occuring, which it is. However the parents ID & email address still are not being inserted. Support has offered to assist by phone today. The combined help is very important to the success of my project and is very, very much appreciated. I have uploaded the most resent page and the error messages into the following Technical Support Ticket # 91530.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It looks like you are using the standard dreamweaver insert server behavior.... or hand coding an insert statement. You should be using the Insert Server Behavior that comes with DataAssist so that the ID is stored in the session. I also don't see you referring to the session for the user email or for the ID. You could update it to look in the $_SESSION instead of the $_POST but first you need to make sure you know the session variables are stored and what their names are.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...