close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Few basic questions

Thread began 5/28/2009 12:18 am by info355813 | Last modified 5/28/2009 9:06 am by Ray Borduin | 1945 views | 1 replies |

info355813

Few basic questions

1) when you make new content and it says to "Insert these two lines at the very top of the code on your page:" is that at the very top of every page or after the head tag? -- also those two lines of code are the same for everything so it's not a problem just put those two lines in the template for an entire site, correct?

2) as far as using some css that i have on my site to put a picture on the left and then content on the other side, can i call my outside css style sheet to do that, or could i create one inside of here for that so my customers have the ability to see everything? not a big deal but would be nice.

3) as i use other webassist products, without having to rename files etc. for example css menu files, does it make a different if / where I put power cms? for example is it better to copy all the files into the root of my site or is it just the same to put it in say /root/cms and just update the two lines of code to direct to that?

4) the one problem i've had so far, haven't played with it a lot yet, working on setting it up one the first site so far, but i noticed with the online editor, i copied some text from word, it got the bold text just fine, however it didnt copy the paragraph space I had between. so i went back into the power cms editor ad simply hit return twice to put two line breaks for the paragraphs and that still didn't work?...do I need to edit the source code in there or how do i do this?

5) do you guys have plans / is there a way to allow the user to create a new page, for example. if i had a blog type page, wanted it put list the title of something and then maybe 2 or 3 lines of the whole article and then have a link to the full article page that is automatically generated through the system for the client? i guess im talking pretty much like a blog feature. the idea behind this is to have say a news section / article / event section, that a client can go in, type in the title, and whole article, then basically add it to the default page with snippets of everything for news or events and then click to get the whole article. the reason is it would be amazing to have this feature built into this system so my clients can have this look / feel like a blog type deal that looks exactly like the rest of the site and then for these basic things, i wouldn't have to setup a wordpress blog that looks different etc. is this possible for me to do? is it possible for power cms to do? or is webassist planning on adding this feature? sorry if that was at all confusing.

6) mysql question: if i am building this on my testing server, which is local-mamp-and adding all the content into powercms (which takes a little time but is worth it-if i do all that locally, can i then use the export function in phpmyadmin and then import all the database info i created locally to the live server when im done? i assume this is possible yet im new to mysql and one of you problem know. which is the best format to export the database as?

7) thank you so much for providing such a great product at such a great price. i am forever grateful to the entire webassist team and community also in addition for assisting me with some of my lame / beginner questions in the database area. again, thank you very much for the help.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

1) It should be before all code including the head tag on any page that includes managed content. You probably could add it to a template if DW updates the paths properly on the individual pages, but that would restrict what you could do in server code on the page, so it may not be the best option if you are adding other functionality to the page later, may be better just to add those two lines when you mark the managed content that is editable.

2) You could update it to recognize your page .css. You can read more at the fckeditor web site, which is what we use for the editor in powercms.

3) It shouldn't matter too much unless you are updating the design of the pages or the code. Since they are built with DW, Templates, connections, and other information won't be recognized if it is not in the root of a site. You could put it in a subdirectory and define a separate site in DW for when you want to edit it that specifies that sub directory as the root. Then you could have your cake and eat it too in terms of making it editable in DW and having it in a sub directory.

4) Use the "paste from word" option in the menu when pasting from word. Usually you can use shift+return to add a line break.

5) This is a very limited v1. We are considering what directions to take it. We could add more file management, add more groups and user level restrictions for content contributers, editors, administrators, etc., and we could add dynamic capabilities. It is possible to extend the concepts of powerCMS, but it can't really do that on its own currently. We have no immediate plans for that update since the first version has just been released, but we will pay attention to suggestions.

6) Yes, just do a sql dump of the table and run the sql script on the live server to recreate it

7) Our pleasure

Sign in to reply to this post
Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...