close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

How to log out after certain amount of time

Thread began 3/10/2009 5:10 pm by pdesignz | Last modified 3/11/2009 7:54 am by Ray Borduin | 4899 views | 3 replies |

pdesignz

How to log out after certain amount of time

I am going through the Security Assist tutorial and had a couple of questions. Is there a way to have the system automatically log out after a certain amount of time. Also once you login is there a way to display the users login name. On other sites I have seen "Welcome, [UserName] & Logout".

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Danilo Celic

The Authenticate User Server Behavior allows you to set values from the user table into session variables. If it's not present yet, you can add an entry for the user name on step 3 of the Authenticate User Server Behavior wizard. From there, you'd simply need to drag from the Bindings panel the user name onto the page.

The log in for SecurityAssist uses session variables, and the length of time that a session stays "alive" is based upon a server setting, and that would depend on what server language you are using. Some servers may lock this down and not allow changing of the values.

For ASP:

Default time is 20 minutes. You can use something like the following, to set the session timeout to 45 minutes:
<%
Session.Timeout=45
%>

session timeout to 45 minutes
For ColdFusion:
The default is also 20 minutes. To change this, you have to change the sessionTimeout attribute of the cfacpplication tag, something like the following to set your timeout to 45 minutes:
<cfapplication name="ApplicationNameHere"
sessionmanagement="Yes"
sessiontimeout=#CreateTimeSpan(0,0,45,0)#>
For more info, please check the Adobe LiveDocs site for ColdFusion

For PHP:
What I've seen is that the default is 24 minutes, and this is set within the php.ini file for your server and can be changed via PHP code if the php.ini file is not locked down by a system admin.
<?php
$garbage_timeout = 2700; // 2700 seconds = 45 minutes
ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime', $garbage_timeout);
?>

But again, this may be locked down.

HTH

pdesignz

Authenticate User

Where would I use the authenticate user behavior, as the tutorial did have us that I am not sure where I would use that. Would I use it on the login page or would it be the index page where you redirected after you login or would be on every page or every page that I want the Username displayed.

Thanks

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The authenticate user server behavior for Security Assist is used to do the actual login on the login page. It is already applied by the wizard.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...