close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Back to cart after registration

Thread began 5/25/2010 12:17 pm by Badger | Last modified 5/27/2010 6:13 pm by Eric Mittman | 1511 views | 5 replies |

Badger

Back to cart after registration

Is there a way to retain the cart details in a session after being asked to register?

Using eCart5 with SA on checkout pages the sequence for a new visitor is:

Add item(s) to cart
Go to checkout
Asked to log in or register is new visitor
New visitor registers
On clicking on register button you're returned to the cart with the original item(s) still present.

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

The cart itself maintains all of the details in session variables. Once the items have been added to the cart then they will remain in the cart for the life of the session. So if you have a user login or register after adding items to the cart when they return to the cart page those items should remain in the cart. Are you experiencing something differently from this? If so please describe what you are experiencing after these various steps.

Badger

My first test returned to an empty cart page after registration. Now it seems to be working so obviously didn't test it properly.

Next question is having returned to the cart with the original items there, is it possible to be logged in after registration so when you select Checkout you don't need to log in.

Thanks

Eric Mittman

I think that users should be verifying their email address first, then they are logged into the site.

If you are not verifying the email address then you can automatically log them in by storing the proper values in session variables. If your logged in rule is based on the userID then you can set the session variable to the just logged in user to have it 'auto login' the user.

On the page that you go to after inserting the user you could also have an authenticate user server behavior that runs before page loads. This will only work if you are not encrypting the password for the user, if you are then this will not work.

Post back with any questions that you have about either of these and I will help with what I can.

Badger

I like your method but, I feel the customer should be asked to sign it after registration. So I've left the sequence as is but duplicated the login page to make one just for registration that thanks you for registering and better describes what to do next by pointing to the shopping cart. A manual fix if you will but I might try to code your solution later though.

Many thanks

Eric Mittman

Sounds like a good plan, let us know if you have any other questions about it.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...