close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

'Unable to download' bug in IE when downloading from https

Thread began 5/20/2010 9:19 am by propoint | Last modified 12/21/2010 1:39 pm by robin.harrison368334 | 3649 views | 6 replies |

propoint

'Unable to download' bug in IE when downloading from https

After upgrading to UE 4 and updating Download behaviors on my page, none of the downloads will work in Internet Explorer over a secure connection (https). All downloads function fine in Firefox and Chrome.

The attached image shows the error message received.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I did a little searching for this error and found this MS KB article on it:

From the looks of it this has to do with a bug in Internet Explorer that can be patched by updating the registry. It looks like this has to do with a Cache-Control: type header.

I can see that in the download function there is a header like this but it is not set like the kb article mentions. It might be worth making a backup of the webassist > file_manipulation > helperphp.php file first and searching it for Cache-Control:, it should be on line 690 by default. When you find this you can try to update it to be another valid value, maybe like this:

php:
header('Cache-Control: max-age=0');

Please test it out like this to see if it resolves the issue, let us know what you experience.
After making this update

propoint

RE: UE4 Download File Manipulation not working (HTTPS)

I have tried both options. I tried the KB article fix as well as changing the line in the Helper file and I get the same results. When I open the same page on testing server that is NOT using SSL everthing works fine. I tried the fix on multiple machines running IE 7 & 8 on Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7.

Eric Mittman

I'm not sure if this is something we will be able to work around or not. If this is a bug in the browser that we cannot work around with an update to the code then it is not something that we will be able to fix. I have opened a ticket for you on this issue so that it can be checked on more. To update the ticket or check on its status login and visit your support history.

supporthistory.php

robin.harrison368334

Was this ever figured out?

I have the same problem when using file download under https it can't find the pdf for download. Under normal http everything works fine?

Any help?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I found this text in the support incident:

I did some more checking and testing. In the file manipulation helperphp.php file around line 690 the header is set. I made the following changes before the line that reads the file from the system.

// set headers for download file
header("Pragma: public"); //added
header("Expires: 0"); //added
header("Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0"); //added
header("Cache-Control: public"); //added
header("Content-Description: File Transfer"); //added

header('Content-Type: application/octet-stream'); //original line
header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="' . $fileName . '"'); //original line
header("Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary"); //added

header("Content-length: ".filesize($path)); // original line

does that work for you as well?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

robin.harrison368334

You ARE The Man!

That worked like a charm!

Now the file downloading works with "Https:"

Thanks very much!

Hopefully this thread will help others out there.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...