close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Distinguishing different user types...

Thread began 5/19/2010 10:06 am by mora398588 | Last modified 5/21/2010 5:19 pm by Eric Mittman | 1901 views | 5 replies |

mora398588

Distinguishing different user types...

Our organization is working to offer online memberships in which the public can enroll using the USRP to register their information and create a user account. However, our memberships will offer privileged access to certain pages and resources for members only through our website for a monthly fee.

However, I would like to offer the public another option...a free account (hereafter, visitor account) in which they can access certain pages, like our online store, registering for workshops, courses, etc., but not have access to privilege web resources specifically for members. My dilemma is how to distinguish the members from the visitors when initially logging in and/or registering.

It appears the USRP allows for a unilateral insertion of data into a single user sql database. I have created in my user database a column referred to as userLevel to setup different user authority levels, but how do I get the USRP registration form to insert the appropriate user authentication for members vs. visitors or visa-versa?

I have used SecurityAssist to set up user authentication capability and assigned distinct user level authority for members and visitors. However, it appears that this only addresses what members and visitors will see or not see.

I have been considering the creation of a web page in which registered users (both members and visitors) would have to select between two (2) separate login pages (i.e.: visitors login and member login). Without knowing another way to approach this, I am assuming that I cannot use the original USRP files to accomplish this. I may have to copy the original USRP files and modify file names to reflect visitors_ in place of users_.

In your opinion and experience, what is the best way to approach this?

If I have to create two distinct log in options, could you assist me in coaching me how to modify the original USRP files for visitor access and registration? If you feel that I can accomplish my goal by using the current USRP files, I would appreciate any coaching and direction on how to make this happen, such as how to modify the user_registration.php file to record member users and visitor users distinctively.

Thank you so much for your help in advance. Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I think that you might be able to use URSP to accomplish this but almost all of the customizations that would need to be made would require Security Assist. This is more or less a user level authentication setup. Some users will have one level of access and others will have different level of access. We have a Solution Recipe that deals with this very topic. I think that reviewing this solution recipe will help you to understand the parts that are in play and what is done to accomplish this. Here is a link to the Security Assist support page:

securityassist/

This is located in the Solution Recipes under User Level Authentication. Once you have a better understanding of how to accomplish this with the use of Security Assist you will then be able to modify the URSP or create your own setup with the Security Assist wizard.

mora398588

User Level Authentication

I have already setup user level authentication for both members and visitors using security assist. What I need to know is if I can use the user_Registration page to register both members and visitors while recording the correct user authentication for each in the user database.

I have setup members as "1" and visitors as "2" using security assist. I even created a group authentication for both members and visitors and labeled them as "3."

Eric Mittman

Ok, thanks for the update on that. You should be in the perfect spot to add in the user level to the user records. I think it would be best to default the user access column to a 2 for visitors. This way by default ever registered user will have visitor level access. To do this you will need to edit the DataAssist Insert server behavior on the user registration page.

The next thing to think of is when you will promote these users to members. When they get member status you will need to ensure that you update the record and the access level.

For the login portion you should have both users use the same login page. You will just need to modify the User Authentication server behavior on this page. You will need to store the user access level in a session variable when the user logs in. This way you can have all users login with the same page and just have your access rules look at the access level that is in the session variable you specified in the authenticate user server behavior.

It sounds like you have almost all the pieces setup, you just need to edit a few server behaviors to get it all worked out.

mora398588

Thank you for your time and assistance. Post closed.

Eric Mittman

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...