close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Migration of old categories to new

Thread began 5/18/2010 6:03 pm by msjj000 | Last modified 6/02/2010 2:14 pm by Jimmy Wu | 2378 views | 8 replies |

msjj000Beta Tester

Migration of old categories to new

Hi WA,

I've migrated a site form PS2 to PS3. We have now taken advantage of the new side menu features and created sub categories. Here's what happens. We create the new categories and sub categories and apply the existing products to the new categories/sub-categories. Even though the un-select the old category the item still appears in it. Is there something that we should be looking at or doing to not have this happen?

Thanks, Mark.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

I haven't seen this behavior before. Can you try removing the product from the category without adding any subcategories first and see if that works? You can set the product to have no categories by clicking on the categories while holding ctrl (on pc) or command (on mac). Check to see if the product shows up in the category or not.

The next thing to check would be to go into the database and check the ps3_productcategories table. Do a search on the ProductID of the product you're changing the category for (you can find this in the ps3_products table). Then you would get a list of the Ids of the categories that the product is added to. You can check which categories these are by looking in the ps3_categories table. This way you can check if the product is added to the undesired category. A workaround to this issue would be to remove that entry from the ps3_productcategories table and it won't show up in that category anymore.

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the feedback.

The behaviour only happens when there is an advanced option on the item like size or color for example. Products without this don't appear to have a problem.

For products with advanced options I can remove the product from any category and it doesn't appear in the new category. Once I add it back in it then shows in both the old and new cateogory. The product always remains in the old category. If you remove the product from all categories and then remove the category it deletes all the products that were included in the old category that came across from PS2 into PS3.

I'm not sure if I am on the same page with looking at which categories an item is attached to. Could I have a field missing? I can't see a field that has multiple categories listed in it.

In the ps3_productcategories table product ID 707 is attached to category ID 8 and 115 and productcategory ID 1776 and 1777 and product ID 708 is associated with 10 and 625 respectively. It is Product ID 707 and 708 that are related as the different size of the item.

There's quite a few items in teh database so manually going through the table isn't an ideal option - more of a last resort.

Thanks, Mark.

Jimmy Wu

Deleting the category shouldn't be removing any products. Does deleting new categories also have this effect?

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Jimmy,

On new categories it all works fine. Looks like it only affects categories migrated from PS2 with advanced options (not those without advanced options from PS2)

Mark.

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Jimmy,

I have now also upgraded a sister site and l can't take products "offline" - uncheck make available online. How are you going with this behaviour?

Thanks, Mark.

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Jimmy,

This issue across PS3 and migrated data categories is starting tio cause me a headache - can you please suggest a where to from here?

Is it helpful to get an extract of the database or relevent pages?

Mark.

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Jimmy,

Just to go back to your earlier comment. I've created new catagories, associated the product there also then I have deleted the old category that came across from PS2 from the ps3_categories table - that seemed to work.

Could this create a problem done the track or is this a safe thing to do?

Thanks, Mark.

Jimmy Wu

That should be fine if the products are associated correctly to the category that you want them to be added to.

Is there anything special about the categories that are migrated from PowerStore 2 to PowerStore 3?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...