close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

I need help finishing adding a new field...

Thread began 5/14/2010 8:44 pm by a2d | Last modified 5/24/2010 12:39 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2708 views | 8 replies |

a2d

I need help finishing adding a new field...

This is where I am:

I am a notice. I am using Dreamweaver. I have a site set up, testing server set, and am connected to the database via Dreamweaver.

1. I created my new field in mySQL (CompanyName) - see mysql photo attachment

2. I added my Company Name Text field to the user registration form - see userregistration attachment. Even though I added the field in dreamweaver and dragged the userCompanyName from the bindings into the field I don't think I am doing it right. Actually it's not correct bc the info is not saving to my database when I register a test user. My code is
<?php echo((isset($_POST["UserCompanyName"]))?$_POST["UserCompanyName"]:"") ?>. The code to another field and similar to all other fields is as follows:
<?php echo(ValidatedField("usersRegistration","UserFax")) ?>

What window would I use to get this code and add it to the Company Name text field to make it work and save to the database.

3. I added the field to the userProfile page as well, but not sure what window to use to add get the correct GET php code. See my attachment.

Can someone point me in the right direction with some clear instructions? This is my first time actually going into a database and updating it and using the database connection in dreamweaver.

This is my url if you need to look at that:
users_Registration.php

I would like to take it one step at a time, but I would also like to add check boxes with different categories that the registrant will be able to pick up to 5 categories to be listed in. Would this be similar to adding the new text field above and what would the php code (or whatever code) be to limit their choices during registration?

If you need additional information please let me know, but be clear on what you need b/c like I said I am not familiar with the coding language in mySQL and php.

Thank you,
Ernie

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

To store the entered value into the database, you will need to edit the Insert record Behavior (on the registration page) or the update record (on the profile page) sever behaviors.

You will need to have DataAssist installed to be able to make this modification.

With DataAssist installed, open the server behaviors window. window server behaviors.

In the list of server behaviors, double click on the Insert Record server behavior.

On the second page, select the new column, then click the lightning bolt next to value and select the form element.

a2d

Still no luck

Jason,

Thanks for the input, but I must still be doing something wrong. I know once I am able to do it once I should be good to go here.

See my photos for my steps and the error I get after uploading. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated so I can get this working for me.

Thanks,
Ernie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you should not be making any changes on the first screen of the insert record behavior, do not change the trigger, the connection file or the key column.

the only changes to make are on the second step.

a2d

ok, tried many times, now feel like an idiot b/c it's still not working

Attached are photos of my steps in a little more detail.

I did not change the trigger, the connection file or the key column. I only made changes to the the second step, uploaded my files and tested...many times with the same error.

Can you let me know what I am doing wrong. I also attached my database setup in case I did something wrong there 1st.

I appreciate you being patient with me.

Thanks,
Ernie

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In your screen shots, the connection file being used is findtristessql, this is not the connection file that is used by default with the user registration solution pack.

the unedited registration file will use the localhost connection file. This is the one that should be selected

a2d

The findtristessql database is the database I created and uploaded all my user_regist... files to. There are no other connection files that I can see in the database tab. Am I looking in the wrong place.

I tried adding a new database and entering the localhost information that is in the Connections folder in the localhost.php file and that gave me an error. I tested with my findtristatesql connection and it connected successfully.

I hope you will continue to stab away with trying to help me figure this out. Thanks for all the help so far though.

I sure wish there were pdf instructions for this and my PS Shipping Methods Options change issues. When I do get to the end of this and am able to add a field I will create pdf directions for others to go off of step by step with the same issue. I can't be the only one who purchased this and cannot figure it out.

I updated the database information prior to using the registration using the ursp_db_connection.pdf document provided to my database on Godaddy.

Thanks Jason, please continue to help.
Should I just start over and not connect it to my database on godaddy?

a2d

Profile GET string working

I opened up the profile page and just copied the GET string from another text field and replaced the UserFirstName to UserCompanyName (the name of mysql database entry). It does pull the test information I placed in the Company Name database. I put this Test in manually through phpmyADMIn.

<?php echo(isset($_GET['valid'])?ValidatedField("usersProfile","UserLastName"):$row_WAATKusers['UserCompanyName']) ?>

This is exciting to me even though I didn't actually do anything other than copy and paste and change some text.

See my photo. The Company Name is pulled from the database. Now to only figure out how to set it to update if I change it and get it working on the registration page.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
login.php

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...