close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Updates

Thread began 5/13/2010 4:01 am by tone397472 | Last modified 5/15/2010 4:21 am by tone397472 | 1129 views | 7 replies |

tone397472

Updates

After waiting now for almost 6 months for a update of Form Builder I really start to wonder what kind of company Web Assist is?!!! It is totally unacceptable that a extension with so many bugs and workarounds is still not updated after all this time. And then I don't even talk about the tons of code that is filling your page after inserting a form. Of course I do the coding my self now. Works faster then this extension anyway. We probably have to pay for the upgrade and for for something that works . I bought the Dynamic Suite and Form Builder and consider it as one of my most stupid investment's of the last 10 years. I hope there will come a "software developments law" that forces software companies to be a 100% open about when a update can be expected, what is going to be fixed and that it is a fully beta tested working product. Imagine that the same would happen with hardware?! And please don't come with stories about how difficult it all is with software, because all the stuff from other companies I have here works without any problem here and if there is a problem they fix it quickly . I'm talking about other web extensions, audio software, video software Adobe web premium, Adobe production premium, Waves, Universal Audio, Cubase, Wavelab, Native Instruments and of course all the stuff of "Project Seven" (that all comes with excellent manuals by the way).

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

If you have issues, then post what they are... there are plenty of community members like myself willing to help.

It appears that WebAssist will have an updated FormBuilder with the release of their new DataAssist 3 and PHP framework suite that was just announced.

So I don't agree that they are not being open about it... I think they don't even know the time line yet.

And while I appreciate that you have frustrations, I completely disagree with some of your statments. Adobe Web Premium does not offer fixes with speed like you say... a perfect example was Adobe Fireworks CS4 which has never worked correctly on Mac. Well, Adobe released the patch for it IN THE SAME WEEK they released CS5. Huh? That's not fixing bugs in a timely manner. It took 23 months to get a patch to make it work correctly.

I mean come on people... if you need help, ask. But just using the forums to spread rants and negative energy is not helpful to anyone.

tone397472

What I experience as "Negative Energy" is a product that doesn't work the way it supposed to. Of course I reported the bugs on this forum, but it's 6 month's now a long time and nothing happened. I stopped reporting and using the extensions, because it cost me more time then normal coding. Even more "negative" is the fact that we have to upgrade and pay for something that works and that the information about that is not available . I asked it of course on this forum . I'm not only talking about the Form Builder but also about the "Dynamic Suite" that in reality is no suite at all but a bunch of extensions with poor documentation. Sorry for the MAC users and Fireworks, on Windows I never encountered a big problem.
So before using "NEGATIVE ENERGY" as a cliché, because you have no good argument against what I experience.( On forums like this are always company *** licking disciples). That's part of their company policy. Is it to difficult to send your clients a mail with information instead of asking your clients to keep a constant eye on the Web Assist web site to find out what is happening, when you know that there are real problems with a product "FORM BUILDER"?!
Think about all the products in your life you had problems with and you went back to the shop or garage , because you did not excepted the fact that the product didn't work proper. What did they say? "Don't come with this "Negative Energy"!
Oh! But because its software there are other rules!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

An update to form builder will be available soon. we are currently working on updating it to be compatible with Dreamweaver CS5 as well as addressing reported problems.

An email announcement will be made when it is available.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I think he was trying to point out that you don't actually list any specific issues that webassist could address. Your post has a much better opportunity to hurt webassist's momentum than to help us fix any problems you are talking about. Your complaint has little substance that WebAssist can use to improve our products or work-flow, but has an general tone that could actually make that progress more difficult.

We appreciate constructive advice, and would really appreciate specific examples of what doesn't work for you so we can make sure to fix them. We are currently testing for cs5 and fixing bugs, so please spend some time clearly outlining the issues you are having and we can make sure to try to address them. We need a clear understanding of the problems to fix them.

Your post gives us clear understanding of your opinions and favorable review of competing extension companies, so your post may convince someone to stay away from webassist, but it does nothing to help us improve our products... which is our goal ,and at the same time you criticize us as if it we didn't care, you don't give us enough information to go on when in fact we do care.

We may have already fixed some of the problems you are experiencing. We may be in the process of fixing all of them. But before I can say for sure you need to tell me what those issues are and give us a chance to address them.

If the goal of your post was to give us information about what the issues are and how we can fix them, then it was ineffective because of the lack of detail. If the goal was to generally criticize, hurt our image to those who don't know better, or promote other extension companies, than it was right on target. However you should not be surprised when it will be construed as negative by the people that know that we actually are listening and are working on fixing all of the problems that are reported. The customers that work with us, know we are not only willing, but happy to work with them to fix the issues we run into.

tone397472

Of course I posted the problems I experienced around 5 month's ago on this forum, I'm sorry but that is a very long time. Look in to my old posts and mails never got a solution and at the moment the extensions are useless for me mainly because of form builder.
* Size of text fields is changing after modification and not possible to fix.
* After a couple of modifications suddenly the preset field names appear again. Same for the changed colors.
This makes the form Builder useless, because I had to make a forum over and over again after modification and this cost to much time. Then I don't understand that is is necessary to let this extension produce tons of DIV's for the editor. Clear rules/styles instead with a good explanation will learn your clients how to work with CSS and makes the extension much more stable and much easier and quick to work with.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Once you start hand editing a form you shouldn't be re-entering the wizard. It sounds like most of your problems are after modification or after several modifications. The key would be to figure out what else changed between those modifications to figure out the cause of the problem.

If you have a form that breaks once you modify it that we can use for testing to reproduce the error then we could run it through some tests to figure out the root cause and try to address it.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "size of text fields"... do you mean the width specfied in the css? It would be very odd to see this happen without changing the design. The design determines the css settings.... do you have a sample page where you have had that problem.

The complicated DIV structure of the forms is necessary to facilitate the miriad of options we expose for styling the form. It is the most flexable html structure we could come up with, but certainly not the simplest... more like the most complex you would ever need.

Several people have suggested that we offer an "unstyled" form version. It would probably have to disable all of the design settings since they depend on the div structure to work, but this will be a likely addition to a future version.

The key for us to be able to solve a bug is reproduction. If we have the necessary files and steps to reproduce a problem, we will do it and fix the problem. I'm afraid the limited details you provide are still not enough for us to definitively come up with a cause.

I can have someone from QA try editing multiple times, but it would help to find out what your original settings were, since that could have had something to do with it. Really a specific file or steps are the best thing to provide for us to be able to work on a particular issue.

You say the extensions are useless because of form builder... did you know that form builder isn't necessary for any of the other extensions to work. It is in fact one of our newest extensions and all of the others worked before form builder ever existed. You can always create forms by hand and use the rest of our extensions on those forms.

tone397472

Quote=Ray Borduin:I'm afraid the limited details you provide are still not enough for us to definitively come up with a cause.

Originally Said By: Marc
  yes,
i already noticed the text field issue too  

This is a quote from month's ago about the same problem!

Quote=Ray Borduin:Once you start hand editing a form you shouldn't be re-entering the wizard.

I'm only talking about using the editor a 100% not about making changes in the code and then going back to the editor.

Quote=Ray Borduin:Several people have suggested that we offer an "unstyled" form version. It would probably have to disable all of the design settings since they depend on the div structure to work, but this will be a likely addition to a future version.

You can also make the extension produce styles/rules with some preset CSS in it that can be changed. (Basic Styling presets), but not with a editor of course (in the code or styles/rules.)

Quote=Jason Byrnes:An update to form builder will be available soon. we are currently working on updating it to be compatible with Dreamweaver CS5 as well as addressing reported problems.

Really looking forward to it, and I will give it a new try as soon as it it's ready.

Quote=Ray Borduin:You say the extensions are useless because of form builder... did you know that form builder isn't necessary for any of the other extensions to work. It is in fact one of our newest extensions and all of the others worked before form builder ever existed. You can always create forms by hand and use the rest of our extensions on those forms.

I bought Form Builder and the Dynamic Suite to make dynamic web pages with forms. After not being able to create anything stable with Form Builder I went back to normal coding, because it had already cost me a week to find out that it did not work proper. That's how it works I'm afraid. And then I'm not even talking about the manuals from the Dynamic Suite I think there has been enough discusion about that subject under my topic "Do we have to wait for a shooting star" on the "Wish List Page" . I'm alway's working under time presure so you have to understand that it works this way.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...