close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

menu performance

Thread began 5/12/2010 6:20 am by msjj000 | Last modified 8/25/2010 2:58 pm by Ray Borduin | 6189 views | 23 replies |

msjj000Beta Tester

menu performance

Hi WA,

Do you have any suggestions to speed up the results performance when selecting products through the categories. I am finding a couple of my sites display the product results quite slowly. I have around 400 products (with variations there are approx 1600 entries in the product table).

Thanks, Mark.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

Unfortunately, since there are so many products in the database, it takes a while for the search on the products table to display the products. I'm not sure there's anything that can be done to speed up the search. How long does the search take? Can you post up a link to the store so we can take a look at it?

msjj000Beta Tester

This post has been deleted.

Jimmy Wu

I'm not sure what you could do to optimize this behavior other than to limit the number of products in the table. The query just gets the information from the database, so if there's a lot of entries, the query will take a while to load.

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Jimmy,

Can you tell me whats change between version 2 and 3 as version 2 performed well? Should I delete the PS2 tables? Likewise the site with only a few items also performs slowly on category/item performance.

Thanks, Mark.

Jimmy Wu

The performance change that was implemented was for product options, it shouldn't have affected the categories. The search for products in a category doesn't matter how many products are in the category. It has to search through all the products to determine which have the category, which is dependent on how fast your database server is as well.

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Jimmy,

OK I am happy to hear that it searches through the entire product table regardless of it being PS2 or PS3. Unfortunately I am experiencing a large display speed difference when displaying the results around the same amount of products between PS2 and PS3 - be that a category or if you are displaying all products.

Not sure where to go with this however the store looks like it hangs and then displays the results.

Mark.

Jimmy Wu

I'm not sure what else can be tested for the menu performance. There were only performance enhancements made for having a large amount of product options, which shouldn't affect the performance of the categories.

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Jimmy,

Fair enough - the thing is that the performance when displaying results between PS2 and PS3 in noticably different.

Mark.

msjj000Beta Tester

Hi Guys,

Should I delete the PS2 tables? Would that make a difference - not sure why but thought I would ask anyway. The issue that I have is that the way PS3 displays product results is noticably slower to a point where you thing there may be a error - I really need to understand how to speed this up. If you go the the PS2 and PS3 store's noted above you will easily be able to see what I mean. Surely this is something that needs to be addressed?

Thanks, Mark.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...