close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Strict Standards?

Thread began 4/29/2010 3:44 pm by tom.macknight308031 | Last modified 5/03/2010 9:01 am by Justin Nemeth | 2278 views | 6 replies |

tom.macknight308031

Strict Standards?

OK... pulling my hair out and I am bald.

CMS 1.02
Using clients server with Cpanel and I have no admin access. Can't verify or change for that matter, the time zone.

I get this..

Strict Standards: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /home/offshore/public_html/CMS/admin/contenthistory_results.php on line 291

Plus, on the page, itself, I get nothing.

PLEASE HELP!!

Sign in to reply to this post

tom.macknight308031

Got it to display...

Got it to display on the site.. but the timezone deal is not letting me see past history, or my file manager.

Justin Nemeth

I had this same issue on my Apache server and I fixed it by making a .htaccess file in the root of my powercms folder with the following code:

php_value date.timezone America/Los_Angeles

Basically, your PHP on your server doesn't have a default timezone so this file gives it a default. If this doesn't work for you, you would have to contact your host and ask them to set a default timezone in PHP for you.

-justin

tom.macknight308031

Thanks

When I put that in the root of the PowerCMS folder it gave me a 500 error.
I will keep trying. Thanks for your help..

Is there something I am missing in Cpanel (which is the only admin I have) that would change that? Already contacted the admin and he said he couldn't change it.

Justin Nemeth

A 500 errors probably means your server it not liking the .htaccess file. It might be set up to not allow you to override the settings in this way and that is why it is producing a 500 error. That means the server didn't like something and since that is the only new setting, it must be that.

The admin can change this setting easily on their end or allow you to selectively overwrite it. They should have the setting anyway since anyone who tries to use the date function will encounter the same error.

The only other thing you could try is adding this code to the top of the php page giving you the problem. It basically just hides errors from displaying - but I don't know if that will really fix the problem or just mask it.

php:
<?php ini_set('display_errors''off'); ?>

-justin

tom.macknight308031

PHP Question

My hosting company re-did my hosting account, wiping out everything and I started over.

I am now using PHP 4.4.9 and I do not have the same problems. I am not sure if that the problems were because of the PHP version (I had 5 before). But the end result is that I have a working program without the errors.

Now I have Power Gallery 110 and I am trying to install it and it says that I need to have PHP 5.

Here is my question .... do you think that the strict standard errors on CMS by using PHP 5 since they are no longer an issue using PHP 4? Do you think I will have them if I update to 5? I ask this before I upgrade because I did not see a solution to go backwards from 5 to 4 in Cpanel.

Thanks so much for your help with this issue. You have been very helpful.

Justin Nemeth

I have only noticed those date errors on PHP 5 myself, so its hard to say what will happen when you switch it back to PHP 5 mode. It depends on if your host changed anything for that date setting. PowerGallery requires PHP 5 since it uses some features (such as SimpleXML) that aren't available in PHP 4.

If you still get the error in PHP 5, try looking in to the date_default_timezone_set() function function.date-default-timezone-set.php. Looks like that is another way to set the timezone on a per page basis. Not as clean as a site wide fix, but would probably do the trick in your case.

-justin

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...