close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

require user registration?

Thread began 5/24/2009 3:09 pm by geordie728 | Last modified 5/26/2009 11:48 am by Ray Borduin | 2918 views | 6 replies |

geordie728

require user registration?

I'm looking to get feedback here from you all.

Having read optimizing-conversion-rates-less-effort-more-customers/

I'm wondering whether I should require a user to register before the buy with our site? If I was to go for that method, how could I link the order to a user in the database at the checkout phase?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ian

This is really easy to acheive.

Simply have a "customers" table in your database. When created each customer will have a unique ID.

Using Security Assist create a login page, and create a rule to password protect your checkout page so that the customer has to login to access it. With security assist authentication create a session variable to store the unique customer ID.

THen in your orders table store the customer ID as a foreign key ID - thats the link between the customer and the order. You can then create relational queries or simply queries based on the value of the customer ID to recall the order by customer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Ian

geordie728

Hi Ian,
Missed my point (I think) or I haven't understood your response.

I know I can do it creating a login page (either using security assist or DW built-in server behaviours) but I was wondering if there's a way around that and simply capture customer details at the payment stage.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can see a solution for that in the PowerStore, which doesn't require registration.

Basically you can use it in conjunction with registration and login and use it as the registration page in the case that the user hasn't already registered.

It can get a little complex because there are so many possibilities, but it can be done with DataAssist, SecurityAssist, Validation Toolkit, and eCart. You might want to get the powerstore even as a functional example... expecially if you are going to ask how to do inventory control next ;)

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Scott Noyes

how easy is it to apply my current template to powerstore. This is what I want done with my site.

Scott Noyes

The only disadvantage that I see is the shipping. Why is it only USPS. can UPS not be used at all with it?

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can apply your template.

You can also add UPS easily by applying the UPS server behavior if you own eCart. This would be much easier than trying to do the registration and other features that you would get with powerstore for free.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...