close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

using a linked table

Thread began 4/19/2010 10:44 am by mr hankey | Last modified 4/20/2010 8:17 am by mr hankey | 2214 views | 4 replies |

mr hankey

using a linked table

Hi,

I was wondering what Jason or someone else from WA support think about using a holding table in mysql for using to query instead of using long queries in database?

basically i have 25 product tables and all have similar columns but not identical that is why i sperated into seperate tables.

however i though of using a table called "products" and using this to hold the "refid" and "userid" and "clientid" all in the one table along with "date" & "commission" columns for simple data retrieval to use with data assist repeat tables and dynamic web charts.

would you recommend this?

many thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

CraigRBeta Tester

how about creating a view within your database using a union query.

if all of the columns you intend to use are identical, this is a good option

mr hankey

thanks CraigR, not really sure how to use views as just got my head around fk's recently.

when you say idenctical do you just mean the data type? or the actual column name?

as i have say 25 product tables, they are similar but not identical. for example they each have a "productid" field which may be "product1id", "product2id" and so on.

should i use a union then or use a linked table that has these values?

thanks for the advice.

CraigRBeta Tester

in union queries, the data type must be the same.

if the field names are different, the query will use the field name of the first table, unless you give it an alias.

a view using union query is a better option than a temporary table, as the data will always be up to date.

i would tend to go for this approach unless you wanted to create a 'snapshot'

take a look at this link for some background...

sql_union.asp

if you want a bit of help on syntax, let me know.

mr hankey

thanks craigr

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...