close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

emails not coming through to hotmail. odd.

Thread began 4/18/2010 4:22 pm by phil | Last modified 7/16/2012 12:22 pm by Jason Byrnes | 4939 views | 5 replies |

phil

emails not coming through to hotmail. odd.

hi guys,

I built a EU form in the usual way, and when testing it the emails werent coming through.

I then changed the recipient to another of my email address's and it came through fine. I then changed it to yet another email address and the mail came through fine again.

Both of the above email address's forward mail on to my hotmail account, so it all ends up in the same place.

So... UE emails arent getting through to my hotmail account directly, but they get through when sent to my other business email address (which simply forward the mail to my hotmail account).

It's like there is something hotmail doesnt like about the emails UE sends and it's filters block them altogether (they dont even go in my junk folder).

Any thoughs on why this might be the case?

Previous UE forms have sent mails to my hotmail account ok, but I do know hotmail has revised its security recently.

thanks,
Phil

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

Phil,

Greetings from across the pond.

Is there any chance that Microsoft since upgrading to their new Windows Live servers/clouds have changed their black/white listing policy?

They may have even had a "reset" on their white lists which is causing the problem.

A couple of other things to check, though. If you have an email address that is physically on your web server, try sending an email from it to your hotmail account to make sure your server isn't just being outright rejected.

The next thing to check would be to make sure that your UE instance is sending all the necessary headers (to, from, reply-to, etc.). While some email servers won't mind if something is missing, my guess is that hotmail/MSFT wants everything to be perfect.

Good luck,

Brian

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

It could also be that the SMTP server is not allowing email to be relayed to the HotMail domain, you may want to check with the host to see if there is something on the SMTP server end causing the issue.

phil

Hi again,

Thanks both for the ideas and suggestions, there is plenty there for me to investigate and try. all suggestions could be the culprit really so I'll play around a bit.

It's not a critical thing in this case, as the mails go through to the client's inbox fine as they dont use hotmail. It was when testing myself and using my hotmail account that I had the issue. It would of course be a problem for various other projects though.

I'll email microsoft themselves as I guess they would be best placed to make a call on what the problem could be. they may even be able to check their logs and spot the rejected mails themselves. I'll also contact the host to check smpt stuff as suggested too.

I'll update the thread if I get a solution incase anyone else has the issue.

cheers,
Phil

wrigd

Emails not coming through to hotmail or Yahoo

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but was there a solution to this as I am currently just experiencing this using Universal Email and emails not being recieved to Hotmail and Yahoo addresses only. Plus I do not get any bouncebacks to indicate that the mail hasn't been received. UE sends out to all other email addresses on my list fine. Thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

When the email is sent to some addresses but not to others, it usually indicates an Issue with the SMTP server.

Contact the host to have them look into the SMTP server error logs, if the emails are being relayed to the Hotmail and yahoo addresses, it may be that those domains are placing the emails in a spam folder.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...